A 56-YEAR-OLD man has died after reports of a serious assault in Church Street on Saturday 4 December.
Gwent Police received a report of a serious assault in Church Street, Trellech, near Monmouth, at around 8.40pm on Saturday, 4 December, after a man was found unconscious and unresponsive.
Officers attended along with paramedics from the Welsh Ambulance Service who confirmed that a 56-year-old man from the Chepstow area had died.
He has been named as Matthew Oubridge. His family have been informed and are receiving support from specialist officers.
A 40-year-old man from the Bristol area was arrested on suspicion of murder. He has been released on conditional bail.
DCI Matt Sedgebeer, the senior investigating officer, said: “As our investigation continues, officers will be making further enquiries so it is possible that you may see ongoing police activity as part of this work.
“Please do not be alarmed and if you have any concerns, then please do stop and talk to us.
“We want to hear from anyone with information who has not yet spoken to the police and particularly those with CCTV or dashcam footage between 7pm and 9.30pm on Saturday 4 December in Trellech.
“Anyone with details should call 101, quoting log reference 2100424065, or you can also send us a direct message on Facebook or Twitter. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”
The Monmouth neighbourhood policing team will be holding community street surgeries at the Babington Centre in Trellech where members of the public can speak to officers with any concerns.
The surgeries will take place between 12.30pm and 2.30pm on Wednesday 8 December and Thursday 9 December and between 10.30am and 12.30pm on Friday 10 December.
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Cardiff man jailed for drugs supply by Carli Newell
- Welsh Government to help those in rent arrears by James Hemingray
- ‘Written in the stars for Wales’ says Sorba Thomas by Owen Harries
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Newport man jailed for rape by Carli Newell
- The Roswelsh Incident: What exactly happened in the Berwyn Mountains? by Doug Evans
- The forgotten Welsh Christmas Tradition – Mari Lwyd by Cerys Lafferty