Police appeal after two men who pretended to be from water board stole from pensioner
TWO male suspects, claiming to be from the water board, knocked on the man’s door in Barrians Way at around 5pm on Sunday, September 26.
They asked to check his water supply but once inside they pushed him onto the sofa and stole cash, tobacco and a mobile phone.
Thankfully the 80-year-old victim was not injured and although he is shaken up by the incident, he has told officers he feels safe and secure.
He is being fully supported as officers carry out enquiries to identify and arrest those responsible.
The suspects are both described as white, aged in their 30s or 40s, with local accents and were wearing face masks.
One, who had a sight moustache, was wearing a yellow hard hat and Donkey jacket,
The other man, stockier than the first, was wearing a yellow top and hard hat.
This is an isolated incident but we would urge anyone with elderly relatives or those who care for older people to make them aware of this incident.
Distraction burglars pretend to be someone they are not in order to gain entry to your home.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent distraction burglary.
- Always remember “if in doubt, keep them out”:
- use your door viewer to see who’s there
- if you open the door put the chain on first
- always ask for ID and check it with the company before letting somebody into your home
- use the phone number advertised in the phone book or online, as the number on their identity card could be fake. For a utility company, call the customer service department. Close the door while you do this.
- Remember that genuine callers won’t mind checks.
If you feel at all unsure, schedule a time for the caller to come back when a friend or relative is there.
- for pre-planned appointments with utility companies, a password scheme can be set up
If you feel threatened or in danger by the presence of the caller, call 999.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact South Wales Police quoting occurrence *339779
Send us a private message on Facebook/Twitter
Via email: SWP101@south-wales.police.uk
- Wales make one change for second South Africa test by James Hemingray
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Positive chain reaction for young people thanks to new bike scheme by Carli Newell
- No-nonsense investing app launches myth-busting ‘Investing Truth or Scare’ quiz by Cerys Lafferty
- Boris Johnson expected to resign as Prime Minister today by Cerys Lafferty
- WG announces Sustainable Farming Scheme by Cerys Lafferty
- Star Wars: Why the Millennium Falcon was built here in Wales by Doug Evans