More than 93% of Welsh farms paid Basic Payments 2021
OVER 93% of Welsh farm businesses have today received their Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) 2021 full or balance payments, Rural Affairs Minister Lesley Griffiths has announced.
This exceeds the number made early in the payment window last year and means £227m has been paid into bank accounts of more than 15,000 farmers throughout Wales. This includes the £159m already paid as BPS Advance payments on 15 October.
Changes to legislation at the beginning of the year simplified the requirements of BPS for 2021. This resulted in a more straightforward application for farmers and allowed early BPS Advance payments to be made in October.
Full and Balance BPS 2021 payments have been made today as agreed with industry representatives.
Rural Affairs Minister, Lesley Griffiths said: “I am pleased we have made an impressive number of BPS payments at the start of the payment window, which is in excess of those made last year. This has been done while we all continue to operate in challenging circumstances brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I want to thank everyone, including those in the sector who have worked with us to deliver a more streamlined BPS which has helped ensure farms have received their payments in a timely manner.
“My officials are now working hard to process the remaining BPS 2021 claims as soon as possible.
“I expect all but the most complex cases to be completed by 30 June next year.”
- Young rugby stars are riding crest of a wave by James Hemingray
- Tryweryn – The Welsh village flooded to supply an English city with water by Doug Evans
- Marconi: worlds first radio message was sent in Wales by Doug Evans
- My20 raises over £25,000 for Wales Air Ambulance Charity by Carli Newell
- Footage of rugby fans crammed onto train sparks calls for urgent action by Cerys Lafferty
- Matt Richards and Calum Jarvis are Wales’ first gold medallists at Tokyo 2020 by Luke Sinclair
- ‘Serious concerns’ over Bridgend children’s services by Cerys Lafferty
- Newtown put five past Druids by James Hemingray