Home » Out of control bonfire destroys garden shed
Mid Wales Powys

Out of control bonfire destroys garden shed

ON MONDAY, May 23 at 11:47am, firefighters from Montgomery were called to a shed fire in the Churchstoke area, Montgomery.

The fire had originated from a bonfire that was placed too close to the shed and had also spread to a hedge and a tree.

Firefighters extinguished the fire using two hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera.

The Fire Service left the incident at 01:15pm.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service urges people to carefully consider if it is necessary to burn their rubbish and instead utilise their local authority’s waste disposal services.

Bonfire Key Safety Advice

If it is essential to burn your rubbish and garden waste in a bonfire, then please follow these simple rules that are advocated by the National Fire Chiefs Council:

  • Firstly, is it necessary?
  • If it is necessary, then bonfires should be sited well away from buildings, fences, trees and garden buildings and structures.
  • If possible, the burning of garden rubbish should take place within a garden incinerator. The garden incinerator should be placed on an even and non-combustible surface, such as a patio slab.
  • DO NOT use flammable liquids or accelerants to start the bonfire.
  • The bonfire should always be supervised.
  • A means to control the bonfire should be at hand e.g. a garden hose.
  • Always check local laws/bylaws to check if you comply.
  • In the event of an emergency, you should always call 999.