ORGANISATIONS across Pembrokeshire will be celebrating Carers Week which is taking place between June 6 – 12.
Carers Week is an annual campaign to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges unpaid carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities across the UK.
It also helps people who don’t think of themselves as having caring responsibilities to identify as carers and access support.
All of us will have our lives touched by caring at some point as three in five people will become carers.
In Pembrokeshire more than 12% of the population have caring responsibilities.
The role that carers play in our society is invaluable and must not be under-estimated.
It is also acknowledged that whilst many people find caring rewarding and something they would do without question, the impact of caring can often affect aspects of life such as health and wellbeing, education and employment and relationships.
To acknowledge the contribution and value of carers, Carers Week is being celebrated in Pembrokeshire by a range of organisations.
Hafal Crossroads (PCISS), Action for Children, PAVS, Pembrokeshire County Council, Mind, FRAME and Hywel Dda University Health Board are putting on a range of free activities across the county for carers such as:
- First aid training for Carers
- Young Carers BBQ
- Card making
- Macramé; Furniture Painting; Upholstery
- Employability Pembrokeshire are offering carers free coffee/tea and cake at their cafes
- Pembrokeshire Leisure is re-launching its Carers Passport to Leisure scheme which provides six-month membership to carers
Details of the ‘Learning Opportunities for Carers’ offer can be found at https://connectpembrokeshire.org.uk/carers-learning-opportunities
Details of all activities can be found at Carers' Week 2022 6-12th June – Connect Pembrokeshire or by calling Pembrokeshire Carers Information and Support Service (PCISS) on 01437 611002.
If you recognise yourself as a carer, or know someone who does, there is support available:
- Young Carers Service delivered by Action for Children – 01437 761 330
- Pembrokeshire Carers Information and Support Service delivered by Hafal Crossroads – 01437 611002 / [email protected]
There are also activities happening across Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire for carers who live near county borders. More information can be found by contacting:
- Carmarthenshire Carers Information Service – Tel: 0300 0200 002 – Email: [email protected] or visit website www.ctcww.org.uk
- Ceredigion Carers Information Service – Tel: 01970 633564 – Email: email@example.com or visit website www.ceredigion.gov.uk/carers