Home » Hakin United hold nerves to book place in West Wales Cup semi-finals
National News Pembrokeshire

Hakin United hold nerves to book place in West Wales Cup semi-finals

Hakin level the game thanks to Jack Britton

HAKIN United are through to the semi-finals of the West Wales Cup for the second season running after they beat Pontlliw on penalties on Saturday (Mar 4).

There was a good crowd at the Obs for a clash between two teams who have been going well this season. The Vikings sit third in the Pembrokeshire Division 1 table with ten wins from their 11 games so far while opponents Pontlliw have won all nine of their league games in the Carmarthenshire Premier Division.

Pontlliw also had former Haverfordwest County defender Sam Rodon in their starting line up and it wasn’t long before he showed his quality as he scored in just the second minute of the game.

Towards the end of the half a Pontlliw free kick caused trouble in the box but Hakin were able to clear the danger.

On the stroke of half time Hakin had a free kick which Camron Thomas sent into the box but the header was saved by Pontlliw keeper Lewis Gibbs.

Pontlliw’s Sam Rodon and Hakin’s Nicky Woodrow battle for the ball

Hakin came out for the second half determined to bring themselves back level.

Jack Britton struck a shot from the edge of the area but it grazed the side-netting, much to the disappointment of the large Hakin crowd, who thought it had gone in.

A dangerous cross was then sent into the box with Nicky Woodrow coming in but Gibbs came out well to catch before he could get his head on it.

With just over an hour gone, the Vikings were given a free kick wide on the left. It was floated to the back post where Shane Walsh was waiting and he knocked the ball back across goal for Britton to tap in.

The goal sparked wild celebrations amongst the players and home supporters and it was game on once again.

Both sides battled away in the remaining minutes but they could not be separated and extra time was needed. Neither side was able to find a winner in the extra thirty minutes and it lead to a penalty shoot out.

Hakin converted all of their spot kicks with Kieran King scoring the winning goal to seal a 5-4 shoot out win.

After the game, Hakin manager Scott Davies said: “I’m proud of the effort and heart the boys showed in some tough moments in the game against a really good organised side.

“I thought we dominated from the second half onwards but didn’t create anything clear cut, it’s unfortunate someone had to lose on pens but we’re delighted to be in the semi final.”