Home » Blues come from behind to beat Celtic

Blues come from behind to beat Celtic

CWMAMMAN United travelled to Celtic Park on Saturday (Mar 30) and came away with a hard earned 2-1 win against a determined Cwmbran Celtic side eager to halt a recent run of defeats.

‘This is always a tough place to come’, said Eirian Rees, Cwmamman Manager, ‘so I’m delighted the boys fought so hard to come from behind and get the win’.

As has happened a few times this season Cwm were a little slow out of the blocks and Cwmbran had early control of the game.

At 7 minutes an unlucky handball by Ben Thomas on the edge of the box saw Cwmbran awarded a free kick. Josh Bull stepped up and curled the ball around the left side of the wall and into the net. 1-0 up Cwmbran continued on the offensive and the next 15 minutes saw them create a couple of half chances.

For Cwm Ross Morgan was now starting to grow in influence and some direct play saw Ashley Curtis steer the ball just past the post while a great Morgan ball saw Ryan Hurlow head the ball over the charging keeper but with not enough power allowing the keeper to recover the ball on its way to goal.

Just before half time Calem Rees won a great tackle and his through ball saw Curtis pull a great save from Cwmbran keeper Watkins.

Cwm came out fired up for the second half and with Gareth Howarth and Declan John controlling the back four Cwmbran’s attack was no longer a threat.

With Ryan Thomas and Colin Harris now playing neat touch football and Morgan’s engine as strong as ever things were starting to happen for Cwm.

In a crazy five-minute spell Cwm saw a number of chances go begging with scrambles in the goalmouth seeing the ball cleared over from two metres out and then the bar rocking from a close shot.

Inevitably something was coming and as Chrissy Allen raced on to a great cross he was brought down in the box. Ryan Thomas stepped up and calmly put away the penalty.

online casinos UK

On 74 mins some lovely play by Harris and Thomas saw Harris just shoot wide.

Luke Williams and Kyle Ashford then came on for Cwm keeping up the pressure and on 82 mins the ever increasingly nervous Cwmbran defence panicked and a weak header back to the goalkeeper saw the ball spilt and the predatory Colin Harris pounced to round the keeper and tuck it away.

With the Cwm defence now well on top and Chris Curtis rock solid in goal Cwm saw the game out for a great result.

Cwmamman now move to 6th with games in hand on all the teams above them.

On Saturday (Apr 6) they welcome Afan Lido to Grenig Park, kick off at 2:30pm.