Home » Blues earn a point

Blues earn a point

CWMAMMAN United travelled to a wet and windy Leckwith Stadium on Saturday (Jan 26) and came away with a point having come up against a resurgent Pontypridd.

Cwm once again had to ring the changes due to some unavailability of players with forwards Brieg Matthews and Calem Rees once again covering at full back but the management will have been relieved to have had the returning Chris Curtis in goal as he had an excellent match.

Ponty were on the front foot from the start and the threat was increasing gradually. Then on around nine minutes the Ponty winger cut inside at the edge of the box and sent a perfect curling shot into the left hand corner leaving Curtis with no chance.

The rain continued to come down heavily and Ponty created a couple of good chances that they should have put away.

They were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which saw another excellent curling shot on its way to goal.

As their players started to celebrate Curtis produced a superb save from nowhere. Then a few minutes later with a Ponty player through on goal Curtis produced another great save.

This finally stung Cwm into action and a cross from the overlapping Calem Rees just flew over the bar while some good close play Colin Harris fired a good shot which was tipped over the bar by the Ponty keeper.

The players went in at half time with the score 1-0 with Cwm needing to find a more consistent way into the game.

As they have done a number of times this season Cwm started the second half positively and started to grow into the game.

Chrissy Allen found some space at a corner but headed over and then some good interplay between Allen, Harris and Ryan Hurlow saw the keeper make a good save from close.

online casinos UK

Then midway through the second half a good through ball from Ashley Johns saw Ashley Curtis surge into the box where he was pulled down. The referee waved play on but the linesman at that side flagged and after a discussion the penalty was given.

Colin Harris calmly stepped up and smashed it into the roof of the net. Cwm then survived a scare as some hesitancy in defence saw the Ponty centre forward chip the oncoming Curtis but his effort bounced off the crossbar.

With Nathan McNeill strong in defence and the hardworking Ross Morgan prompting attacks Curtis and Hurlow were beginning to find space and chances were now coming at both ends.

The final five minutes saw Cwm have their best chances with Colin Harris foiled by an excellent save around the post and some excellent individual play which saw him push past a couple of defenders to only see his shot go agonisingly wide of the post with the keeper beaten.

A 1-1 game which could easily have gone either way based on the chances created.

On Saturday (Feb 2) Cwm are again on their travels away at Briton Ferry Llansawel.