Home » Cwm just miss out in tough battle

Cwm just miss out in tough battle

THE Grenig Park faithful were treated to a rip roaring Ardal league battle as both sides fought to the very end of an exciting and enthralling encounter on Saturday (Mar 5).

Cwm manager Ryan Thomas will have been pleased how Cwm took the game to Ynyshir considering the team had to make a significant number of changes following unavailability due to Covid and injuries.

Ynyshir known as the ‘Buns’ are a serious contender for the league title and are in the semi finals of two cups so it was no surprise that they settled the quicker of the two sides as the reorganised Cwm side adjusted. The pitch was heavy and would prove to dictate the pace of the game as it progressed.

The Buns had the first chance early on and then on 17 min Cwm saw Calem Rees fire over the bar from the edge of the box. A great pass from Grant Rees then saw the ball played across goal and Ryan Hurlow speeding in saw his shot hit the post,

The deadlock was broken when a free kick into the Cwm box was flicked on and Matthew Crutch headed home in the 34th min.

It could then have been two quickly but Kai Rees pulled off a wonderful save from the oncoming attacker.

Hurlow had a powerful shot saved on 41mins by Jason Pritchard then in the 44min a Gareth Howarth header came off the bar and Hurlow calmly tapped home. With Cwm expecting to go in all square disaster struck as league top scorer Liam Eason immediately scored in first half injury time to restore the lead.

The second half continued in the same vein with both sides pressing and with Travis James and Elian James having strong games from full back and Geraint and Grant Rees and Ashford working hard in the middle Cwm equalised in the 54th min when he drove powerfully into the opposition box and fired home.

With everything to play for both sides were creating with Kyle Ashford, Calem Rees and Hurlow through on the keeper coming close.

The game turned in the 75th min when a failed clearance was seized upon and a perfect lob over keeper Kai Rees by Morgan saw Ynyshir restore their lead.

online casinos UK

The last 15 mins saw Cwm pushing for an equaliser and they moved Nathan Mcneil up front from centre defence but with a few good opportunities going to waste Jacob Matthews broke away in the 93rd min to seal the game.

Disappointing for Cwm but they will take heart from the performance with a much changed side.

Next Saturday (Mar 12) they travel to play second placed Cardiff Draconians.