Home » Bala go through on penalties
Football Sport

Bala go through on penalties

BALA TOWN knocked Bangor City out of the Nathaniel MG Cup on Tuesday night (Sept 21), but only after being taken to penalties by their JD Cymru North opponents.

The game finished 0-0 after 90 minutes and the game was settled on penalties with Bala keeper Harri Lloyd making two crucial penalty saves.

There was a cagey start to the match as both sides looked to get a foothold in the game.

In the ninth minute Bangor worked the ball well into the area but Enzo Zicarelli was unable to control the ball as Bala managed to clear.

Will Evans then did brilliantly to make space for Chris Venables but his effort was blocked by the Bangor defenders.

Just a minute later Paul Rutherford crossed into the box for Venables but his header was well saved by Bangor keeper Lewis Brass.

Play switched back and forth between both ends but it was Bala who had the next chance as Bradley Bauress fired a shot over the bar.

Bangor then had a good chance to score as the ball was played to Mello Corbellini but he fired wide.

Zicarelli then tried his luck for the hosts but his effort was high and wide.

Steve Leslie then had a chance for Bala but he couldn’t find the back of the net. They did do so on the stroke of half time but the goal was ruled out for a foul.

Early in the second half Ollie Southern flashed a cross into the box but there were no takers.

Zicarelli then cut in on his right foot but his powerful effort fizzed just over the bar.

After a stop-start period which saw a number of players go down, Bangor came close to taking the lead as a header was cleared off the line by Ollie Shannon.

Zicarelli was at it again moments later as he got past his man and drove towards the Bala goal but his shot went wide and away from goal.

As the game entered stoppage time it was Bangor who were on the attack and Zicarelli again had a chance to score but his effort was straight at Bala keeper Harri Lloyd.

The final whistle went meaning penalties would be needed to decide the outcome of the game.

Bala captain Chris Venables took the first penalty but it was saved by Bangor keeper Lewis Brass.

Mello Corbellini hit the crossbar with Bangor’s first penalty as the scores remained even.

Bala’s Callum Woods and Bangor’s Mantanza Torres both scored before Bauress scored again and Bangor scored their third to level at 2-2.

The score went to 7-7 but Oliver Southern missed his penalty giving Bangor the chance to win it.

However, Jack Walsh then saw his penalty saved by Lloyd before Nathan Peate scored to put the pressure back on Bangor.

Daniel Mullarkey saw his penalty saved by Lloyd to send Bala through with an 8-7 penalty shootout win.