Home » Caernarfon back to winning ways
Football Sport

Caernarfon back to winning ways

Report by Paul Evans

CAERNARFON TOWN ended a poor run of results on Saturday (Nov 6) with a hard fought win over Cardiff Met at Cyncoed Campus.

The Archers started the day a point above Caernarfon and will have been intent on avenging a defeat at the Oval earlier in the season but Huw Griffiths’ men went in front early on and showed plenty of fighting spirit to battle the elements and their determined hosts.

With Noah Edwards and Rob Hughes returning to the fold following suspension, Caernarfon had just Sion Bradley unavailable as a result of a persistent injury and a commanding first half performance followed by a gutsy second half showing bodes well for the yellow and greens.

Conditions were not easy and the strong wind made it nigh on impossible for the sides to produce a classic but nevertheless, Caernarfon produced some fine football early on with the wind at their backs, and an early opportunity fell to Noah Edwards when Danny Gosset and Darren Thomas linked well at a free kick and the latter found Edwards in the box with a cross, but the midfielders’ effort was straight at goalkeeper Alex Lang.

Gruff Jones provided an excellent cross into the penalty area in the sixteenth minute but the wind took it away from the late arriving Mike Hayes, who was just an inch or two from contact with his head.

The winning goal arrived in the twenty third minute after an inswinging Rob Hughes corner was flicked on at the near post by Iwan Cartrwright, and Darren Thomas was on hand two metres out at the far post to head in. It was the least the Cofis deserved after the relative dominance up to that point but the hosts responded well, with Craig Davies and Harry Owen both going close to a quick equaliser for them.

Adam Roscrow forced Town stopper Ojrzynski into a fine save low to his left in the thirty third minute and that proved Met’s final opportunity of the half. For Caernarfon, Gosset fired over the bar after good set up play by Noah Edwards whilst the ever dangerous Rob Hughes fired inches wide of Lang’s right upright after an excellent jinking run off the right flack in first half injury time.

The second period was a more scrappy affair, not helped by the appearance of rain to add to the wind, and Lewis Brees was first to go for goal, his left foot effort from long range flying well wide of the target.

With sixty six minutes on the clock, Rob Hughes was unfortunate to see his inswinging corner cannon off the near post whilst, just a minute later Aaron Simpson’s piledriver from twenty five yards was well saved by the flying Lang, who did well to readjust as the wind played havoc with the ball’s flight.

The hosts piled on the pressure in the final ten minutes and Roscrow was twice denied an equaliser, the first time by an excellent last gasp block by Gruff John, the second when his long range effort flew inches over the woodwork.

A comfortable save late on by Ojrzynski proved the last real action of the afternoon as Caernarfon returned home with the much needed points, that sees them placed fifth in the Cymru Premier League table.