Home » Druids and Met take a point
Football Sport

Druids and Met take a point

Photo by Mike Plunkett

CEFN DRUIDS earned a point on Saturday, March 20, as they drew 0-0 with Cardiff Met at the Cyncoed Campus.

The point keeps the Druids in touch with the sides above them in the table while the Met slip to tenth following other results.

The Archers dominated the first half, only for Druids to come out a new team in the second.

Druids decided to rotate the squad heavily since the disappointing 5-0 loss to TNS last Tuesday.

Academy graduate Kieran Smith got the nod at right back while Harry Fuller got his first Cymru Premier start on the right wing.

It was the hosts who came out of the blocks much sharper than Druids, who were struggling to get into the game early on.

The Archers had the Druids pinned in their own half and created a number of early chances but were unable to capitalise.

Cardiff Met forward Eliot Evans was finding space on the left wing and forced a good save from Michael Jones early on after cutting inside onto his right foot.

The hosts had another big chance shortly after when an Evans cross found a Cardiff Met forward in the box, only for his free header to go straight at Jones. The Students earned a number of corners in the first half with good deliveries into the box, however the Druids defence held firm and consistently cleared the danger.

Towards the end of the first half, the Met thought they had the lead when forward Tom Price was put through on goal and finished into the bottom corner. However, the referee blew for a foul in the build-up.

Druids were able to get a few balls into the box for the forwards to attack, but there were no meaningful chances.

The referee blew for half time and Cardiff Met would have felt disappointed that for all their pressure and chances, they were unable to convert, and the score remained 0-0.

Druids made some changes at half time in hope of a reaction with Cody Ruberto coming on up front for his first game back after a lengthy injury, as well as winger Joe Faux.

It seemed to have worked as Druids looked a different team. Pressing high with intensity and creating more meaningful attacks, giving the Cardiff Met defence no time to relax and play.

Ruberto was creating a nuisance of himself up front, winning headers and drawing fouls which allowed the Druids defence some breathing time.

However, while we were pressing and getting into the game, The Students were still creating chances.

They worked it well down their wings and got a few good balls into the box, but again the Druids defence showed great character, clearing well to keep the Druids in the game.

The game began to open up late on with both sides creating good chances to try and snatch the win.

A Cardiff Met corner was cleared well, only for fullback Dylan Reece to strike the clearance sweetly, first time, from almost 30 yards, for it to whistle inches over the top corner.

On the resulting goal kick, Jones immediately found Faux on the left-hand side who beat his man down the wing and delivered the cross for Ruberto to attack. His header was blocked by a Cardiff Met defender with Niall Flint trying to poke in the loose ball only for the keeper to smother it just in time.

Cardiff Met are in action on Saturay, March 27, as they travel to Caernarfon Town while the Druids are next in action on Friday, April 2.