Home » Five-star Aber sink Druids
Football Sport

Five-star Aber sink Druids

Photo and report by Aberystwyth Town

ABERYSTWYTH Town sealed an excellent victory on Friday night (Jan 28) as they beat Cefn Druids 5-0 at Park Avenue.

Despite the inclement weather a very respectable crowd of 428 turned up and were vocal in their support of the Black and Greens.

Aber in turn were at it from the start, snapping into tackles, pressing high and playing with an intensity which earned them domination of the first half.

Steff Davies was released down the channel for a one on one, but visiting keeper Mike Jones made the first of a series of good saves to keep Aber at bay.

Lee Jenkins headed wide from Veale’s cross, then just before the quarter hour the ball fell to Franklin thirty yards out and the Hereford hitman unleashed an audacious lob which flew into the top corner and delighted the home supporters.

Davies was causing havoc in the visiting defence with a hugely committed performance, and Louis Bradford was next to head wide from a Jack Rimmer free kick. Franklin was denied a shot on goal by a strong challenge in the box then at the other end Aber-born Charley Edge dropped a free kick over the bar.

Matty Jones had a shot punched wide by Mike Jones, and he fired another effort just wide minutes later.

Veale was inches wide with a free kick then sent another effort just over the bar and Jon Owen was next to have an effort parried by the keeper, but then the incessant pressure paid off on 43 minutes when Owen released Jones who crossed for Veale to slot home a neat finish at the near post.

Less than sixty seconds later Franklin was released down the right channel and he volleyed a scintillating strike into the far corner of the net to put the cheery on the top of a determined first half for Antonio Corbisiero’s men.

Into the second half and Veale had the first attempt on goal with a free kick which Jones caught, and he hit the crossbar with his next free kick with a thrilling effort.

The Druids threatened a recovery of sorts as a back flicked effort was deflected for a corner, Liam Buckley had an effort blocked and Edge saw a free kick drift wide.

Back came Aber with Davies almost setting up Franklin with a right wing cross, then seeing his own acrobatic volley saved by Jones.

The unfortunate Kieran Smith was then sent off for Druids on 67 minutes for a second yellow card awarded for a foul on livewire sub Phillips, and Phillips himself made use of the space down the middle to run through and finish smartly under Jones for Aber’s fourth, assisted by Steff Davies.

Franklin had a shot and then a header deflected for corners, and Rhys Davies headed wide also. Aber remained resolute at the back and sub Jonathan Evans was next to be denied by Jones, whose hands must have been stinging by the end of the game.

Young Cameron Allen came on up front for his Park Avenue first team debut, and with three minutes to go Phillips was again released in space, this town down the right flank, and he found the opposite corner of the net to net a joyous fifth to crown a great night for anyone of a Black and Green persuasion.

Aber play their 1000th game in the Cymru Premier on Tuesday night (Feb 1) as they welcome Haverfordwest County to Park Avenue.