Home » Newtown hit five against Haverfordwest County
Football Sport

Newtown hit five against Haverfordwest County

Newtown celebrate another goal. Photo by H18-Pdw Photography

NEWTOWN closed the gap on play-off conference leaders Haverfordwest County on Saturday as sealed a thumping 5-1 win at Latham Park.

The Robins now sit five points behind the Bluebirds with plenty of games still to come.

It was the home side who started well on Saturday as they won an early corner but a header went just wide.

The Bluebirds’ first chance fell to Corey Shephard but his half-volley was blocked before Kurtis Rees got his angles wrong and fired the rebound wide.

Newtown came forward and a dangerous cross look destined to be finished off but County keeper Wojciech Gajda made an excellent save with his legs to keep the score at 0-0.

Then in the space of two minutes the game had turned on its head.

On 27 minutes, Tyrone Ofori fired into the net from the edge of the box and a minute later, Gajda made another good save but he couldn’t prevent Lifumpa Mwandwe from tapping in the rebound.

At 2-0 the hosts were now in a comfortable position but the Bluebirds still threatened as Shephard sent a shot wide of the post.

Gajda was again called on to keep out a third goal as the visitors looked to get in at half time with the score as it was.

However, Newtown were awarded a series of free kick at the end of the half and from the second one, Craig Williams sent the ball in for Shane Sutton who headed home.

The Bluebirds had a mountain to climb if they were to get anything out of the game but the hosts continued to play some good football as they started the second half well.

Mwandwe and Ofori linked up well but the former sent an effort wide of the goal.

He then did have the ball in the back of the net but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Mwandwe wasn’t to be kept quiet though as two minutes later he was played in and he rounded Gajda to score and make it 4-0 to the hosts.

Ofori was next to try his luck but Gajda made an unbelievable save to keep the score at 4-0.

With an hour gone the Bluebirds pulled a goal back as Corey Shephard picked up the ball 40 yards from goal and he sent a rocket into the top corner of the net to make it 4-1.

Gajda made a number of good saves to keep the score down but he was thankful to the linesman on 75 minutes as the ball was headed in off the back of another save but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Danny Williams fired a shot over for the visitors before Jordan Evans scored with five minutes to go to make it 5-1.

The hosts saw the game out to inflict the Bluebirds’ heaviest defeat of the season.