Home » Nomads progress in JD Welsh Cup with 5-0 win
Football Sport

Nomads progress in JD Welsh Cup with 5-0 win

CONNAH’S QUAY NOMADS secured a place in the third round of the JD Welsh Cup with a 5-0 win over CPD Y Rhyl 1879 on Friday evening (Sept 3).

Goals from Byron Harrison, George Horan, Kris Owens and Callum Morris topped off a resounding win against the newly reformed Rhyl side.

The evening marked the start of the Nomads’ JD Welsh Cup campaign, a competition they’d won in 2017/18, and one of high importance in the current season with the winners qualifying for Wales’ third and final European spot.

It marked their second game in just four days, following Connah’s Quay’s 1-1 draw with Caernarfon on Tuesday evening where goals from Darren Thomas and John Disney ensured the spoils were shared.

Andy Morrison made only one change from that game as wing back Aron Williams started with defender Tom Moore on the bench.

His counterpart Gareth Edwards meanwhile gave starts to Elliott Evans as well as former Cymru Premier men Carl Lamb and Reece Fairhurst.

The game began and Nomads quickly began to create chances, with Callum Morris going close in the sixth minute with a deft effort at close range, pushed away by goalkeeper Ryan Roberts.

Two minutes later, Nomads’ summer signing Byron Harrison threatened in front of goal, heading from only five yards out to see his effort collected.

After 15 minutes, Andy Morrison’s side were dominating completely, and still creating threats on goal with Craig Curran shooting just over.

On 20 minutes, George Horan sent a header just over the crossbar as the combination of crosses from the likes of Aron Williams and Kris Owens combined with the physical prowess of Byron Harrison and George Horan.

Although Nomads had a tight grip on the game, Rhyl put on a determined performance and battled at every opportunity, seeing Callum Morris go in the book with a yellow card for a tackle in the 27th.

Byron Harrison again saw good headed balls go close in the 35th and 38th minute, but with five minutes of the first half remaining the score looked like it was going to stay goalless despite Nomads’ flurry of chances.

However, in the 2nd minute of injury time, he did break the deadlock for Connah’s Quay, rising up to head a Jamie Mullan ball in inside the Rhyl box to finally give Nomads their much-sought after goal.

At the break, Andy Morrison made a first change, replacing Aron Williams with Tom Bibby, another summer signing for Nomads following his spell in the US.

The second half saw Nomads immediately resume their dominance, and they once again targeted the Rhyl area with a relentless run of attacks.

Jamie Mullan was proving highly valuable for Nomads, with no Rhyl players able to get the ball off him in the 53rd as he delivered a great pass from the outside of his foot to set Owens on the byline.

After the hour mark, the second goal arrived via the captain Horan, who sent in a powerful header in the 62nd to make it 2-0.

With their lead extended, a second substitution saw a debut for Harrison Webster who replaced Jordan Davies.

In the 70th, a third and final change handed an appearance for academy graduate Harry Owen who was introduced in place of Curran and made a commanding presence at the back for Connah’s Quay.

As the final 10 approached Nomads’ name was all but in the hat for the third round draw, but they didn’t stop there with three goals scored within five minutes.

In the 82nd, Byron Harrison was fouled as he stretched to finish a cross low in the box, seeing referee Alex Livesey show a straight red card to Rhyl’s James Jones and point to the penalty spot.

Callum Morris then stepped up and converted to make it 3-0 with just eight minutes of normal time left to play.

In the 85th, George Horan finished off a slick move from Nomads as he met a low square ball from Harrison to finish through the centre of the goal to get his second of the night and Nomads’ fourth.

Kris Owens then scored Nomads’ final goal of the evening three minutes from full time, sending a powerful effort in from around 12 yards which took a slight deflection to help beat the keeper.

Attentions now turn to an away trip to Barry Town next Saturday, September 11, for a 2:30pm kick off at Jenner Park.

The draw for the third round was made on Monday and the Nomads’ reward for their win is a trip to Trefelin BGC. That tie will take place on the weekend of September 24/25.

Match report by Will Catterall