Home » Nomads win MG Cup after thrilling shootout
Football Sport

Nomads win MG Cup after thrilling shootout

CONNAH’S QUAY NOMADS won the Nathaniel MG Cup final on Sunday (Feb 6) as they beat Cardiff Met on penalties at the SDM Glass Stadium in Penybont.

The game finished goalless after 90 minutes and it meant that penalties would be needed to separate the two sides.

In a remarkable shootout, which saw every played take a penalty, it was the Nomads who eventually won it 10-9.

There was an early chance for the Nomads as a cross from the right found Callum Morris at the back post but he saw his effort hit the bar.

The Met then had a chance on 17 minutes as the ball was played to Lewis Rees but he sent his shot out of the ground.

Soon after they had appeals for a penalty turned down as Met claimed the ball had hit Nomads’ captain George Horan on the arm but replays suggested otherwise.

With almost half an hour gone Joe Evans slipped the ball into the box for Elliot Evans but an excellent tackle from Morris prevented him from getting his shot away.

The Met had a corner shortly before half time but after Nomads keeper Oliver Byrne failed to hold on to the ball, his team-mates were able to clear the danger.

It remained 0-0 until half time with both sides still in with a chance of securing silverware.

The Nomads won an early corner but it was cleared straight back into the path of Kris Owens and his curling cross was punched wide by Met keeper Alex Lang.

A good run from Adam Roscrow saw him get to the byline but his dangerous cross went straight through the box with no takers.

With just over twenty minutes to go Neal Eardley sent a cross into the box and Jamie Insall looped a header towards goal but Lang was able to push the ball away.

Harry Owen then looked to put the Met ahead but his shot lacked power and Byrne made an easy save.

With eight minutes to go the Nomads had one of the best chances of the game as a cross into the box was headed just wide by Insall.

As wind and rain came down in the closing stages, a cross into the Nomads’ box was headed goalwards by Joe Evans but it was straight at Nomads keeper Byrne.

The sides could not be separated and it meant penalties would be needed determine a winner.

Callum Morris scored the first spot kick for the Nomads and Elliot Evans then scored for the Met.

Eardley (Nomads), Christopher Craven (Met), Kris Owens (Nomads) and Kyle McCarthy (Met) all scored their penalties to make it 3-3.

Jamie Insall attempted a cheeky panenka penalty but Alex Lang was equal to it to catch the ball.

Liam Warman then scored to put Met ahead before Aeron Edwards scored to make it 4-4.

Emlyn Lewis needed to score to win the game for the Met but he saw his penalty saved by Byrne and the spot kicks would continue.

Craig Curran (Nomads), Thomas Price (Met), George Horan (Nomads), Chris Baker (Met), Danny Holmes (Nomads), Sam Jones (Met), Declan Poole (Nomads) and Matt Chubb (Met) all scored their penalties as the shootout score read 8-8.

Paulo Mendes then saw his penalty pushed onto the post by Lang and the Met again had an opportunity to win it.

Joe Evans saw his penalty saved though and it was now the turn of the keepers to take a kick.

Byrne scored for the Nomads and Lang did for the Met.

Morris then despatched his second spot kick and next to take one was Met’s Elliot Evans. He put his effort onto the post and the Nomads celebrated victory.