Home » Late winner gives Bluebirds the points

Late winner gives Bluebirds the points

Haverfordwest County 3
Monmouth Town 2
THE Bluebirds continued their fine start to the season with an entertaining 3-2 victory over Monmouth Town.
The home side left it late, but they have now won six of their seven games and remain top of Division One.
In front of a bumper crowd, the game started positively with both sides looking dangerous early on.
Monmouth’s ex-Carmarthen striker Nick Harrhy had the best chance to put the visitors ahead, but his header was weak and Chris Curtis easily took hold of the ball.
The game sparked into life in the 16th minute when the home side edged ahead.
Richie Lewis won the ball on the halfway line and played a beautiful pass down the wing for Jack Christopher. His cross was met by Steffan Williams who diverted the ball into the goal.
Three minutes later Williams combined well with Ricky Watts on the right before crossing to Christopher who turned and fired in from 12 yards.
However, just two minutes later Monmouth were back in the game. Sam Palmer’s cross caused problems among the Blues defence and Elliott Ford was in the right place to drive the ball home from close range.
The Blues could have gone further ahead in the 35th minute when Christopher swung a cross-field ball for Lewis, he crossed into the box but Christopher was inches away from making contact.
A pulsating first half ended with the Bluebirds leading 2-1 but the game was far from over.
Monmouth came out in the second half looking for an equaliser an almost got it. Ford fired in a fine volley which drew an equally fine save from Curtis.
But moments later the away side were level. Ford crossed for Harrhy who pounced to put the ball into the back of the net.
Both sides pushed on looking for a winner. The Blues came close when Christopher and goalkeeper Blackburn both went for the ball. Luckily for Monmouth the ball bounced just wide.
As the game entered its final stages it was still unclear who would come out on top. It was the Blues who scored the winner with only three minutes left. A long ball was played over the top and Williams latched on to it and suddenly found himself one-on-one with Blackburn, and he rounded the keeper to give his side the win.
This Saturday the Blues are away to West End in the second round of the Welsh Cup.


About the author

Tom Sinclair

Tom Sinclair

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment