Home » Neyland Youth beat Colwyn Bay to reach third round

Neyland Youth beat Colwyn Bay to reach third round

Report by Jonny Sutton

A SUNNY but cold Saturday (Jan 29) at The Athletic Ground saw Neyland Youth entertain Colwyn Bay Youth in the second round of the WRU National Bowl Competition.

The visitors went straight on the attack from the outset as their kick off was fumbled into touch which allowed Colwyn Bay a foothold in the Neyland 22.

A great steal from Jasper Endean, the first of many over the 80 minutes, meant Neyland could attack from deep and clear their lines.

After 10 minutes of an even contest a quick tap and run from Rhys Power, offloading to Harvey Myles-Nash caused panic and quick ball and a snipe and stretch by Fletcher Picton resulted in a try for the home side. The conversion nailed from just inside the touchline increased Neyland’s, and Fletcher’s, score to 7.

On 15 minutes an infringement by Colwyn Bay resulted in a penalty about 40 yards out. A hell of a kick by Fletcher Picton sailed through the sticks to give Neyland a deserved 10 nil lead.

A penalty for a late tackle on fellow Ginger Liam Rees after 26 mins resulted in a yellow card for Colwyn Bay and with  in a quickly taken tap Neyland where again on the attack, although the ball was lost in contact it was won back and a charge from Lloyd Stephen was followed up with Seb McIntosh crashing over for his first try of the day, on this occassion Fletcher pushed conversion past the post into a strong wind.

On 24 minutes a strong charge from Lewys Scourfield left him just short of the try line and Colwyn Bay where able to hack clear when their backs tryed to move it wide.

Four minutes before the break, Neyland were again held up after a series of drives from forwards Asha Gledhill and Toby Rees which allowed a Colwyn Bay defender to get under the ball and escape with a goal line drop out.

The half time whistle came from ref Joseph Kiff with a scoreline of 15 nil.

Ten minutes into the second half and outstanding play from Neyland resulted in the ball going one way and coming back the other and Finley Picton, on debut, giving Fergus Reynolds a scoring pass to go over in the top right hand corner. This was superbly converted by Fletcher Picton.

The scoreline could have deflated many a side but Colwyn Bay stuck to their task and got some rewards with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Sustained pressure from their forwards led to charge after charge which eventually Neyland defended by holding up over the try line. Colwyn Bay weren’t to be stopped though, they ran the drop out back and got some rewards when Scrum Half Jack Turner sniped through a gap for a converted (by himself) try.

The score now 22-7 and in the balance even though Neyland were deserving of their lead. 

The last 20 minutes saw Neyland turn the screw and drive home their superior aggression a series of drives were thwarted with penalties and an indescrestion near the line saw another yellow card for Colwyn Bay.

A quick tap and go released Fletcher Picton for try no 2 under the sticks which he converted for a 29 7 lead which put the tie to bed.

With 10 to go a quick tap from a free kick by Rhys Power released Fletcher into space to beat a flurry of defenders and run in from 60 yards, on this occasion he missed his kick but pushed the score to 34-7.

Neyland finished the game with a try on stoppage time when sustained pressure saw oustatanding No8 cap a great game by burrowing over from close range, the try being duly converted by Fletcher Picton.

A final score of 41 to 7 slightly favoured Neyland who deserved the win but maybe Colwyn Bay would feel slightly hard done by in a game where a couple of dropped balls or missed passes may have resulted in a closer score.