Home » Scarlets beaten in derby

Scarlets beaten in derby

SCARLETS were beaten 19-12 by Ospreys on Saturday afternoon (Dec 22) despite being three points ahead at half time.

There was a good crowd at the Liberty Stadium for the derby clash and it was the Scarlets who made the brighter start as they edged their way towards the Ospreys’ 22.

From a scrum the referee gave a penalty and Rhys Patchell sent a kick through the posts to give the men in red a 3-0 lead.

Two minutes later the Opsreys were back level as Sam Davies sent a penalty through the posts.

Scarlets were soon back in front however as Patchell sent a second penalty through for a 6-3 lead. The Ospreys hit back again and Davies scored his second penalty to level the scores again.

Photo by Darren Harries

The away side had a chance to go ahead but this time the penalty was missed. Despite that the Scarlets came forward again and they won another penalty from the scrum and Ken Owens pointed for the posts. Patchell made no mistake to make it 9-6.

The Ospreys looked to respond once more as they got into the Scarlets’ 22 but the visitors were able to turn the ball over and clear the danger.

Johnny McNicholl then made a break for the line and he found Gareth Davies but the ball was lost in contact and the chance had gone.

Shortly before half time the Ospreys looked to score as Scott Williams kicked forward but Luke Morgan couldn’t quite control the ball as he picked it up and the Scarlets had a lineout.

It remained 9-6 to the Scarlets when the half time whistle went which set the game up for an exciting second half.

online casinos UK

After an even start the Ospreys had a chance to level the scores but Davies sent his penalty wide of the mark.

The home side continued to press and put the pressure on and it eventually told as a chip through saw Morgan race on to touch the ball down. The TMO checked the try and it was given sending Ospreys into the lead. Davies then added the extras to make it 13-9.

On the hour mark the Ospreys increased their lead as Davies scored a drop goal and the Scarlets now needed a full score to bring themselves back level.

Another drop goal five minutes later put the Ospreys further ahead and Scarlets knew they would need to play well if they were to go on and win the game.

With nine minutes to go Dan Jones scored a penalty to bring the visitors to within seven points and they looked to put the pressure on.

Jones kicked the Scarlets forward into the 22 and they had a lineout. Try as they might they could not find a way through as the Ospreys defended well.

With time running out the Scarlets gave possession away close to the try line and the home side were able to clear.

They saw the game out to seal a good victory. The Scarlets will look to bounce back on Saturday, December 29, when they welcome Cardiff Blues to Parc Y Scarlets.