Home » Scarlets see off rivals Ospreys

Scarlets see off rivals Ospreys

SCARLETS picked up an excellent win on Saturday afternoon (Oct 6) as they beat rivals Ospreys 20-17 at the Parc.

Ospreys got the upper hand in the opening quarter spending the best part of ten minutes in the home side’s 22 but they were unable to turn pressure in to points. Sam Davies put in an initial drop goal attempt, which was charged down, before Blade Thomson ripped a turnover ball in the shadow of the try line to get the Scarlets out of danger in what was a huge defensive effort.

Rhys Patchell kicked the Scarlets into Ospreys territory and within the blink of an eye former Osprey Kieron Fonotia makes a break through their defensive line. He showed great pace and determination and found Johnny McNicholl who made a dash into the opposition 22, crossing the whitewash unopposed. Halfpenny added the conversion.

Ospreys made their way back in to Scarlets territory. They run towards the try line through winger Luke Morgan and he was just inches away from the whitewash before being penalised for holding on.

On the half hour mark, whilst Patchell was being seen to by the medical staff, the Ospreys brought themselves back into the game when Cory Allen made a run for the line to touch down and Sam Davies added the extras, bringing the score level pegging at 7-7.

Photo by Darren Harries

The Ospreys were now on top and two minutes later former Scarlet George North made a break for the line but was tackled by winger Tom Prydie. North was convinced he had scored and the TMO was called for. It was phenomenal effort from Prydie to rip the ball from North’s grasp but the try was awarded.

Ospreys were unable to add the extra two points and the score stayed at 7-12.

Scarlets looked to finish the first half strongly and made their way into Ospreys territory. The ball is played through the hands and advantage is played but with nothing coming from it play was called back and Halfpenny steps up for a penalty to make it 10-12.

Patchell returned for the second half and the Scarlets came out strongly looking to get themselves back into the lead.

They thought they had scored a try when Hadleigh Parkes crossed under the sticks but it was ruled out for an infringement earlier in the move by the TMO.

online casinos UK

The home side did not let that stop them and they soon went back on the attack and they were eventually rewarded with a penalty which Halfpenny sent through the posts to make it 13-12.

The Scarlets were looking dangerous with the ball but were stopped by an Ospreys knock on. The TMO checked for a deliberate knock on but it was deemed to be a knock on.

From the resulting scrum, the Scarlets edged themselves forward and it was the returning Patchell who went over for the try which was then converted by Halfpenny.

With the score at 20-12 the Ospreys knew they would need more than one score to get back in to it and they got a try when Luke Morgan crossed. The conversion was missed and Scarlets held a three-point lead.

Scarlets looked to keep the ball in the Ospreys half as the clock ticked over into the last ten minutes but the visitors were able to win the ball back.

There was still time for them to get what would have been a winning score but Scarlets held on to secure an excellent victory.

The 12,000 strong crowd were sent home happy and Scarlets now turn their attentions to Saturday’s (Oct 13) opening game in the Heineken Cup.

Racing Metro 92 are the visitors to Parc Y Scarlets with kick off at 5:30pm.