Home » Top class rugby in difficult conditions

Top class rugby in difficult conditions


Fishguard and Goodwick 0
Cardiff RFC 61
TOP Welsh team Cardiff RFC, overcame Fishguard and Goodwick RFC in bleak conditions at The Moor, where the score line doesn’t fully reflect the home side’s contribution to the game.
The Welsh Premiership side travelled down to Fishguard on Saturday, honouring a commitment made by the two sides when Cardiff hosted the Seagulls after their Millennium Stadium final, and a big welcome was given to them by the home crowd, who braved wind and rain to witness a historic game.
Cardiff demonstrated full respect for their hosts by beginning the game with their strongest 15, and early on the battle was fought hard in the midfield, as the poor conditions disrupted the handling of both sides.
The new scrumage laws introduced by the IRB were being used, and as both sides got to grips with them, Fishguard’s pack held firm on their own ball against the Premiership pack, a positive forwards coach Randall Williams will be happy with. Cardiff ran in two tries in the first ten minutes, as Fishguard struggled with the speed of the opposition. However, Fishguard captain Steve Jenkins led from the front, as the Seagulls built momentum through their forwards. This momentum shift resulted in Aaron Fowler, hooker for Cardiff, being yellow carded for playing the ball on the floor, much to the jeers of the home crowd. The precision of the Cardiff line out was clear throughout the game, as they were able to secure their own ball, and disrupt the Seagulls line out. Any attacking lineout the home side had was turned over by their professional opposition, nullifying the hard work the Seagulls had done in securing an attacking position. After half time, both sides elected to give their new signings a run out. Fishguard worked hard in the second half to produce some magic, and man-of-the-match Simon James produced some fantastic work at the break down to give Fishguard attacking positions. However, the superior fitness of the visitors kept the home side out, as in the dying moments, Fishguard were camped on the Cardiff five-meter line, looking to score a consolation try. However, handling errors again were the bane of the Fishguard attack, and the final whistle blew on a hugely entertaining game. The final score of 61-nil became irrelevant, as the game was contested in a hard but fair manner, with both sides respecting their opposition.
After the game, the Cardiff team were given a very warm welcome in the Fishguard clubhouse where a presentation was held.
Fishguard Chairman James Morgans said :‘’I hope Cardiff have taken something out of this game, as we certainly have. It was a pleasure to host them, and hopefully we can continue our link in the future.’’ Speaking with Cardiff’s vice-chairman, Keith Morgan after the game, he said: ”It was easy for us to fulfil our commitment to come here to Fishguard to play as we had witnessed first-hand their style of rugby and support in Cardiff. These games were more frequent with the old Welsh cup style, however, the demise of those games as left a lot of smaller clubs with having played a Premiership side. I’m happy we have come here, and the standard in poor conditions were good, and I wish Fishguard the very best of luck for the season. Possibly, in the future, there may be an opportunity for them to travel to
Cardiff to play on the new surface and the Cardiff Arms Park.’’

   [wzslider autoplay="true" lightbox="true"]


About the author

Tom Sinclair

Tom Sinclair

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment