Home » Vikings see off Wizards to reach Senior Cup semis

Vikings see off Wizards to reach Senior Cup semis

HAKIN UNITED reached the semi-finals of the Senior Cup on Saturday (Feb 12) as they beat Merlins Bridge 4-1 at The Obs.

They now await the winner of the quarter final tie between Neyland and St Clears, which has been re-scheduled for Saturday, February 19.

Conditions were not easy for both sides as wind and rain battered the Observatory field for much of the 90 minutes.

Merlins Bridge had a claim for a penalty when Matthew D’Ivry went down under a challenge from Mark Jones but the referee waved away the appeals.

A few moments later the ball was played into the Hakin box and Will Haworth looked to pounce but home keeper Sam Franklin was able to get to the ball before Haworth could.

Hakin then had a couple of chances before they were given a chance to take the lead with just over half an hour gone.

Shane Walsh played the ball through for Camron Thomas and he was taken out, giving the referee no option but to point for the spot.

Ben Aldred buried the spot kick in the bottom left corner to give the Vikings the lead.

Leon Luby then saw a shot blocked before the break and the Vikings held on to their lead until the half time whistle.

Hakin started the second half well with Luby and Thomas combining well before the latter saw his effort blocked.

online casinos UK

Just a minute later though the home side did double their lead as Walsh crossed into the box for Ashley Bevan who tapped home to make it 2-0.

That dented Bridge’s hopes of getting back in the game and Hakin continued to pile the pressure on.

The wind was playing havoc throughout and ten minutes into the second half it almost proved costly as James Dickson’s throw was held up allowing Jack Britton to head the ball into the path of Bevan but he fired over.

On the hour mark the Wizards had an excellent chance to get themselves back in the game. The ball was played over the defenders and Haworth stayed onside before latching on to it but he saw his shot saved by Franklin.

They were made to pay for that miss soon after as sub Justin Harding’s cross-come-shot from the right curled over Dickson and into the corner of the net to make it 3-0 to the hosts.

Merlins Bridge did pull a goal back with twelve minutes to go as Jordan Williams fired in to the bottom right corner.

It wasn’t enough to spark a comeback though and Hakin could have had more goals. Sub Gareth Fawcett was through on goal but sent his chip wide and then also saw another shot go wide late on.

As the clock ticked on to 90 minutes, Luby played the ball through for Harding and he cut inside his man on the edge of the box before curling the ball into the bottom right corner of the net to seal the win.

Hakin return to league action on Saturday, February 12, as they travel to Clarbeston Road. Merlins Bridge are also in league action as they travel to Hundleton.