Home » Health Board appeal for public to look after family members at home to ease demands

Health Board appeal for public to look after family members at home to ease demands

HYWEL DDA HEALTH BOARD has appealed to the public to look after their family members at home in order to free up beds for more critically ill patients.

The Health Board has said there is currently an unprecedented demand on care services across Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion.

In a statement, they have asked members of the public to look after their loved ones at home or to take a family member, who is in hospital and waiting to be discharged, home in order to free up beds to try and ease the demands.

The Health Board said the demand is leading to significant delays in care provision which is in turn leading to leading to significant bed shortages and lengthy ambulance waits at A&E departments, which also means that paramedics are unable to respond to other 999 calls in the community.

Social care and health teams are doing everything possible to support people who are well enough to leave hospital but need ongoing care.

Priority is being given to the most vulnerable, and alternative health and care packages are being offered as a short-term measure. More carers and health staff are also being recruited to support people in need.

online casinos UK

The Health Board has said that spending as little time in hospital is better for patients and means that NHS beds can be freed up for others with urgent care needs.

Supporting older patients to get home from hospital efficiently is an important part of their recovery and it also protects them from negative consequences of hospital admission, such as hospital acquired infection, falls and a loss of independence.

A spokesperson for the Health Board said: “If you have a relative or loved one in hospital who is well enough to go home, but is waiting to be discharged with homecare and / or community health support, please consider if you may be able to help them to get home more quickly – you and your family may be in a position to support them at home.

“If your relative is waiting for a formal package of care, you may be able to offer support and care on a short term, temporary arrangement or you might want to consider whether your loved one could be supported in a temporary residential or nursing care setting.

“If you feel that this is an option that you could consider, please speak to the ward manager or your social worker to explore further.”

To help alleviate pressures at hospital sites, a number of Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) units have been opened, which you may be referred to if you have a condition that can be seen and treated quickly.

Hywel Dda University Health Board’s Director of Nursing, Quality and Patient Experience, Mandy Rayani, said: “We are dealing with a combination of high numbers of attendances, particularly in our Emergency Departments, and challenges in health professional staffing. 

“Our GP practices and hospitals are busy and while many of the COVID regulations have been removed, we still need to follow specific requirements for the safe treatment of those patients with COVID-19 and those without.

“We are working with our local authorities as there are difficulties in discharging some patients due to similar staffing challenges the social care sector is facing. This means we have very limited beds available to accommodate patients who need admission. 

“Our teams are helping patients by their clinical priority, but this does mean that in some cases, waits in our Emergency Departments are hours long and far in excess of what we would strive to deliver. 

“If you need medical help, please think carefully about the services you choose.” 

If you are unwell and unsure what to do, you can visit the online symptom checker to cross-check your symptoms against a number of common ailments and if directed call NHS 111.

Only attend an Emergency Department if you have a life-threatening illness or serious injury, such as: 

  • Severe breathing difficulties 
  • Severe pain or bleeding 
  • Chest pain or a suspected stroke 
  • Serious trauma injuries (eg. from a car crash) 

If you have a less serious injury then please visit a Minor Injury Unit. They can treat adults and children over 12-months of age, with injuries such as:

  • Minor wounds 
  • Minor burns or scalds 
  • Insect bites 
  • Minor limb, head, or face injuries 
  • Foreign bodies in the nose or ear 

There are minor injury or walk-in services at Cardigan Integrated Care Centre, and Tenby Hospital.

Many community pharmacies can also provide walk-in, common ailment or triage and treat services without an appointment.

A spokesperson concluded: “Your support not only helps your loved one, but it is a huge support to the NHS and social care services as well.

“Please help us to make our service safer by sharing this information with friends and family.”