A CORONAVIRUS outbreak at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor forced a number of planned operations to be cancelled last week.

The outbreak affected several adult wards with 49 people being treated for the virus.

Schools in Bangor had already agreed to delay their phased return by a week because of the high number of cases. The schools are now likely to return on Monday, March 1.

Neighbouring councils had also warned residents to be careful.

Up to two weeks’ worth of operations have now been cancelled, something which the hospital said was a decision that was not taken lightly.

There will be a few exceptions such as day cases, maternity and paediatrics.

Emergency surgery will continue at the hospital as will diagnostic services, oncology and outpatient appointments.

Alyson Constantine, the hospital’s acute care site director, said: “This decision has been made to enable us to provide extra capacity on site due to the number of people being treated for Covid-19 infection at the hospital.

“Cancelling elective operations is not a decision that we have taken lightly and we would like to apologise for any distress and disappointment this has inevitably caused. The safety of our patients and staff is incredibly important and it was necessary to make these difficult decisions to ensure this.”