Welsh vaccine plant evacuated after receiving suspicious package
A PLANT where doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine are produced and stored has been evacuated after receiving a suspicious package.
Police have confirmed to Herald Wales that officers were at Wrexham Industrial Estate in Ash Road, Holt.
John Roberts, who runs CMS Wrexham Ltd, next door to the plant, said he heard a “big bang” at about 11:35 HRS.
Wockhardt UK has confirmed that the plant has been evacuated after receiving a suspicious package.
A statement on its Twitter account said: “Wockhardt UK in Wrexham this morning received a suspicious package.
“Relevant authorities have responded and upon expert advice we have partially evacuated the site pending a full investigation.
“The safety of our employees and business continuity remain of paramount importance.”
A technician at the plant, Ian Hunter, said that the bomb disposal experts from the Royal Logistic Corps had arrived on scene.
Mark Drakeford said: “We are working with local police and the military to find out more about this incident. Thank you to the security personnel who are on-site to protect lives and ensure
the safety of our vaccine supply. This highlights the vital role they play in keeping us all safe. Diolch.”
On Thursday last week Wrexham council leader Mark Pritchard said teams had worked to ensure the vaccine was not lost in the floods.
The Welsh Government said there had been “no adverse effects” on the coronavirus vaccine roll-out.
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Now that’s art, Deco by Jon Coles
- Mumbles maintain unbeaten record by James Hemingray
- Four working mums face Atlantic rowing challenge by Owen Harries
- US diplomatic boycott of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics announcement expected this week by Owen Harries
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Cold weather warning: National homeless charity warns of risk to life for people on the streets by Cerys Lafferty
- Street of fame – new book honours the First World War fallen of Denbigh by Cerys Lafferty