Investigators ‘confident’ that fishing boat will be found
SEARCHES for a missing fishing boat using sonar are being hampered by bad weather, investigators have said.
Investigators from The Marine Accident Investigation Branch say that they are ‘confident’ fishing boat which vanished with three aboard will be found ‘in near future’.
The Nicola Faith disappeared four weeks ago and no trace of the boat or her crew has been found.
Alan Minard, Ross Ballentine and skipper Carl McGrath failed to return from a fishing trip on 27 January.
A search off the north Wales coast for the Conwy vessel involving seven RNLI lifeboats, a helicopter and a plane failed to find any sign of it.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch has been leading the hunt.
A spokeswoman said: “Extensive sonar searches are being carried out in the areas between Rhos-on-Sea and Conwy, but the searches have been hampered by weather conditions.
“We are confident that the vessel will be found in the near future. Our investigations are ongoing and a report will be produced and be made publicly available when complete.”
Relatives and friends of Mr McGrath, 34, Mr Minard, 20, and Mr Ballantine, 39, who are all from the Conwy area, kept a vigil at Llandudno’s RNLI lifeboat following their disappearance.
Pictured in order: Alan Minard, 20 – Carl McGrath, 34 – Ross Ballantine, 39.
An online prayer service was also by St Paul’s Church in Llandudno.
The trio set sail from Conwy on January 27 to fish for whelks in the Irish Sea, and were due back in port at around midnight the same day.
The last known contact with the boat is understood to have been at around 9.30pm that night.
- Boss of organised crime group arrested by NCA cops in Wales by Carli Newell
- Mum of murdered soldier Lee Rigby launches charity in Wales by Cerys Lafferty
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Travelodge partners with BHF to pilot innovative 15-minute CPR training tool by Cerys Lafferty
- Top bakery on a roll with 100 jobs on offer thanks to new £16m production line by Carli Newell
- Four children hospitalised after being hit by school bus, three flown by helicopter by Carli Newell
- VIP pupils say makeover at old school is class act by Carli Newell