Home » Wrexham beaten in first game of 2022
Sport Wrexham

Wrexham beaten in first game of 2022

WREXHAM suffered defeat in their first game of 2022 on Sunday, January 2, as they were beaten 3-1 by Notts County at Meadow Lane.

It had started much differently for the Welsh side though as they were ahead after only four minutes.

Reece Hall-Johnson won the ball well in midfield before unleashing an unstoppable strike which rocketed into the back of the net.

That sent the near-2,000 travelling support into raptures but their joy was short lived.

With ten minutes gone the hosts were given a penalty after Wrexham’s Harry Lennon handled the ball in the area.

That also earned him a straight red card and although the Wrexham keeper guessed the right way, Kyle Wooton scored the spot kick.

Despite being down to ten men Wrexham continued to battle with Paul Mullin going close but he saw his header saved.

Wooton then scored his second goal of the game, heading in from close range, shortly before the break to put County ahead.

Wrexham knew they would need to play well if they were to get anything out of the game with ten men and they started the second half well.

Ten minutes in they were given a penalty. Mullin stepped up to take it but he saw his effort well saved by the County keeper.

online casinos UK

With twenty minutes to go Jayden Richardson’s effort was ruled to have gone over the line despite protests from Aaron Hayden and Ben Tozer and manager Phil Parkinson, all of whom were booked by the referee.

The visitors battled on but County saw the game out to seal the win.

Defeat leaves Wrexham third in the National League table, four points off leaders Chesterfield.

However, other results mean that just one point now separates them in third from seventh placed Bromley, with eighth and ninth placed teams just a further point back.

Wrexham are next in action on Saturday, January 15, when they host Folkestone in the FA Trophy. Their next National League game takes place a week later as they travel to Yeovil.