Home » Wrexham go top of the National League with 2-1 win over Chesterfield
National News North Wales Sport Sport Wrexham

Wrexham go top of the National League with 2-1 win over Chesterfield

Wrexham claimed a 2-1 victory over 5th place Chesterfield last night, moving to the top of the National League.

The victory saw Wrexham overtake title contenders Notts County, who now sit 1 point behind The Red Dragons.

With a game in hand, Wrexham now have the chance to increase the gap to 4 points with a visit to Maidenhead United on Saturday, 4th March.


For the first time in a while, Phil Parkinson opted to keep his starting eleven unchanged. However, there was a change on the bench as Eoghan O’Connell replaced James Jones.

Wrexham took the lead early on with a goal from Elliot Lee, who scored after just 5 minutes with a wonder goal from outside the box, making it 1-0. Lee executed a swift give-and-go with Mullin before striking the ball first-time into the top corner of Ross Fitzsimons’ net.

Moments after the first goal, Lee delivered a slick curled pass to Luke Young. Despite being in point-blank range, Young couldn’t direct his header on target as it bounced narrowly wide.

On the half-hour mark, Mullin made a brilliant run past the Chesterfield defence and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Trying to curl the ball into the bottom right corner, Mullin was denied by a crucial save from Fitzsimons, who had anticipated the shot and positioned himself accordingly.

Although Wrexham had their fair share of chances, Chesterfield had a good amount of possession and created their first significant opportunity in the 37th minute.

After receiving a pass from Darren Oldaker, Ryan Colclough charged towards the left side of the box and delivered a dangerous cross into the box. However, Jordan Tunnicliffe did exceptionally well to outmuscle Paul McCallum and prevent him from tapping the ball in.

The first half came to an end with Wrexham leading by two goals, leaving the Spireites to rue their missed opportunities.

HALF TIME: Wrexham 2-0 Chesterfield

Wrexham began the second half on a positive note, and in the 49th minute, Dalby found himself unmarked in the box.

He created space for himself with his first touch and aimed a curling left-footed shot towards the centre of the box, but Fitzsimons was equal to the task and made a save.

Chesterfield had another excellent chance in the 58th minute when Liam Mandeville delivered a cross into the box, and Colclough ran onto it at pace. However, Lainton reacted quickly, leaping to tip the ball onto the bar. Jacob Mendy was fortunate to avoid conceding a penalty in the aftermath of the save.

In the dying moments of the game, Chesterfield managed to score a consolation goal through Colclough. However, it was Wrexham who emerged victorious, claiming all three points and securing the top spot in the league.

FULL TIME: Wrexham 2-1 Chesterfield


1 – Lainton

14 – Forde

32 – Cleworth

8 – Young

6 – Tunnicliffe

4 – Tozer

19 – Mendy

20 – Cannon (Substituted for Davies 79′)

38 – Lee

18 – Dalby (Substituted for Palmerat 73′)

10 – Mullin


1 – Fitzsimons

33 – Clements

5 – Grimes – Booked at 45mins

28 – Banks

20 – King

12 – Williams

26 – Oldaker (Substituted for Akinolaat 73′)

35 – Jones – Booked at 34mins (Substituted for Quigleyat 83′)

10 – Colclough

7 – Mandeville (Substituted for Uchegbulamat 73′)

15 – McCallum – Booked at 87mins