THE TRIAL for the alleged ‘brutal murder’ of a teenage boy has today begun.
Seven men and a 16-year-old boy are in court over the death of 17-year-old Harry Baker in Barry.
Newport Crown Court heard how Harry was brutally murdered at a docklands yard after being chased in what has been described as ‘a swift, bloody and merciless attack’ in August of last year.
Lewis Evans, 61, Raymond Thompson, 47, Peter McCarthy, 36, Ryan Palmer, 33, Nathan Delafontaine, 32, Leon Symons, 21, and a 16-year-old boy all deny murder.
Prosecuting, QC Paul Lewis, in his closing statements, which are expected to conclude today (Feb 26) told the court how Harry’s body had been found stabbed and clothes stripped from his body by workers arriving for their morning shift.
Mr Lewis said: “Harry Baker was lying face down on the ground.
“He had been repeatedly stabbed and his clothing had been stripped from his body.
“He was brutally murdered.”
The court heard that Harry was attacked by drug dealers over a turf war, after he had started selling drugs in the Barry area.
Mr Lewis told the court how Harry was chased for around a mile by an armed and deadly gang. He added: “Harry Baker was deliberately targeted as a victim
“He was ruthlessly hunted down by people who were determined to harm him.”
Mr Lewis described Harry’s killers as ‘determined’ after they found him hiding in a secure compound.
After subjecting Harry to ‘a swift, bloody and merciless attack’ the accused fled the scene, the court heard.
Thompson, McCarthy, Palmer, Delafontaine, Symonds and the 16-year-old boy also deny violent disorder.
Evans also denies a charge of assisting an offender.
Twenty-two-year-old Leon Clifford, who denies murder, has admitted to manslaughter.
Clifford told the police he climbed into the compound and stabbed Harry.
Mr Lewis told the court Harry’s murder was a joint enterprise.
He added: “All of them either themselves attacked and stabbed Mr Baker or otherwise they intentionally provided their encouragement and support to those who did.
“All of them are guilty of murder.”
The defense is expected to present their closing statements to the jury next week.
The trial is expected to last six weeks.
The story will be updating next week.