Man found guilty of murdering a girl to get revenge on her mother
A MAN has been found guilty of murdering a 16-year-old girl because he “wanted revenge on her mother”.
Chun Xu, 32, of no fixed abode, originally denied murdering Wenjing Lin in Treorchy on March 5, saying he did not mean to harm the girl, but admitted manslaughter.
Following a trial at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, Xu was found guilty of one count of murder and one count of attempted murder on the victims stepfather Yongquan Jiang.
The defendant is to be sentenced on Friday (Nov 12).
During the trial, the court heard how Xu, who was considered a nephew of Wenjing’s mother, had stayed with the family the night before the incident.
Wenjing had logged on to join a virtual maths class at 9.30am, just before Xu attacked her and left her for dead, he then lured her step-father into the basement and stabbed him in the body and neck with two knives, where he saw the body of his step daughter laying on a black mat.
During the attack, Yongquan asked Xu why he was attacking him and he replied “money, money, money”.
The court heard how the family had given Xu £20,000 to send back to friends in China who had lent them money to start their business in Wales, however, Xu only sent a portion of the money and gambled away £14,000.
Xu was in the process of paying the family back.
Wenjing’s mother Meifang Xu, interrupted the attack when she went into the basement, where Chun Xu is said to have bit her while she tried to call for help.
Despite emergency services best efforts, Wenjing could not be revived.
The judge warned the defendant to expect a life sentence.
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Gerwyn Price defeated by Brendan Dolan, knocked out of the 2021 Players Championship Finals – Jonny Clayton wins and advances to quarter finals by Owen Harries
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Tryweryn – The Welsh village flooded to supply an English city with water by Doug Evans
- Wales face Austria in Path A Semi Final – World Cup Qatar 2022 Play-offs by Owen Harries
- Madoc: The Welshman who found America 300 years before Columbus by Doug Evans
- Tennis: The sport first played in Wales by Doug Evans
- Local crime busters urged to apply for “Robin Hood” cash by Carli Newell