BALA TOWN and Penybont played out an entertaining 2-2 draw in their JD Cymru Premier season opener on Saturday (Aug 14).

Summer signings Dave Edwards, Calum Woods, Chris Sang and Oliver Southern all made their league debut for the club, with Danny Walker-Rice and Brad Bauress on the bench.

A fast start saw both teams go close to taking the lead, with Will Evans having the better chance, as he received the ball down the right with one defender to beat, but he took the shot on early and curled his effort round the post.

Jonny Spittle also picked up an early yellow card for a hefty challenge to break up play.

However it was Penybont who landed the first punch, with Sam Snaith heading into the net from a Nathan Wood cross just after 10 minutes played.

It didn’t take too long for a response from the Lakesiders, despite a stroke of luck in the equaliser.

On 25 minutes, Calum Woods sent a free kick into the box which was met by Antony Kay who sent his header back across goal, where Dave Edwards bundled the ball onto the post only for a Penybont player to try and clear the ball from danger but Will Evans was waiting to pounce on the clearance and managed to direct his block into the net.

A minute of added time was announced at the end of the first half, and Bala almost went into the break with a 2-1 lead.

Lassana Mendes received the ball inside the box, and took a shot on goal which looked to have been going in, but his shot cannoned off the head of Sang and went out for a goal kick to take the sides in level at half-time.

Five minutes into the second half, Bala took the lead as Kieran Smith made his way to the byline and put the ball across the box where Dave Edwards dashed onto it with his left foot, and put the ball past the keeper to give us a 2-1 lead.

However, the lead did not last long, as Calum Woods and Lewis Clutton collided in the Bala box and a penalty was awarded to Penybont. Kane Owen then stepped up to take the penalty, and converted his kick into the net, bringing the score to 2-2.

On 65 minutes, there were huge shouts for a penalty from the Bala players and bench, with Ollie Shannon being bundled to the floor inside the box, but nothing was given.

Both teams fought for a winner right until the very end, however with just 3 minutes remaining of normal time, Chris Venables was sent off for violent conduct as he tussled with Dan Jefferies, reducing the Lakesiders to 10 men for the final few minutes.

Five minutes of added time was announced, and it still looked like either team could snatch a win, but it wasn’t to be as both sides settled for a point.

The Lakesiders now face Barry Town at Jenner Park in a live game on Sgorio next Saturday, August 21, with kick off at 5:00pm.