BARRY TOWN came from behind to earn a point in a six-goal thriller with Bala Town at Maes Tegid on Saturday (Oct 23).

Bala headed into half-time with a two-goal lead thanks to a Lassana Mendes brace and a customary Dave Edwards league goal. Before Barry struck back in the second-half through a brace of their own by Kayne McLaggon who snatched a point for his side late on.

It took only two minutes for Alex Ramsay to be tested in his return to the starting line-up as McLaggon struck a powerful shot towards the goalkeeper forcing him into a save down low to his left.

McLaggon continued to look threatening for the away side as he led the line and caused the Bala backline some problems in the opening exchanges.

Some confusion at the back for the Lakesiders almost lead to them conceding when the defence failed to clear their lines, allowing Rhys Kavanagh to have a pop at goal, fortunately his effort rolling wide.

From the early trouble the visitors caused, Bala were finally able to bring the game to Barry, through the returning Mendes who controlled the midfield battle and brought them forward on every attack.

It was him who broke the deadlock, through a truly wonderful strike, Sean Smith working the ball into the box and playing it to the midfielder to unleash an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner.

Moments later, Mendes collected his brace in spectacular fashion, winning the ball back himself in midfield, handing it off to Brad Bauress only to then recover the ball again in the box and find the opposite bottom corner this time doubling our advantage.

Bala then remained on top with confidence flowing through the team as Barry struggled to cope with the intense attacking pressure. However, the Linnets found their way, out of nowhere and out of nothing Barry were back in the game as a loose ball in the box was found by Callum Sainty to fire home.

The Lakesiders responded instantly through the inevitable Edwards league goal. A great team goal by Bala as Paul Rutherford broke through the visitors’ defence, finding Bauress in the area who set up Edwards to score a third.

Edwards’ late first-half goal regained our two-goal advantage as we headed into half-time with a 3-1 lead over Barry in an entertaining 45 minutes.

Barry cut the deficit once more 15 minutes into the second-half as Kavanagh’s cross into the area to an unmarked McLaggon saw the Linnets come within one goal.

It was from that point that the away side knew they would get the opportunity to rescue at least a point having looked down and out at half-time. With pressure starting to get to the Lakesiders, they looked vulnerable with their slender lead.

With less than five minutes to go for Bala to hold on to their lead, the man who looked destined to be man of the match was involved in another game-changing moment, this time to the visitors’ advantage as Mendes tripped up Marcus Day in the area and a penalty was awarded.

McLaggon stepped up to take it, and his penalty was saved by Ramsay before the rebound was smashed in.

The striker grabbing his brace and rescuing a late point for his side as they completed the comeback.

It went from bad to worse for Mendes in the final minute of the game as he was shown a second yellow for dissent as he passionately protested his anger towards the referee.