CAERNARFON produced a fine display at the Oval on Friday (Apr 15) to defeat Penybont, a victory that sees them leapfrog ‘Bont’ into fourth position in the Cymru Premier League.

European qualification is beyond the Cofis this season but they knew that the three points would put them in pole position for home advantage in their upcoming Irn Bru Cup semi final play off.

The hosts began well and, despite one or two jittery moments during the first half, they were pretty dominant throughout.

Darren Thomas was close to providing the perfect start for the Cofis after just two minutes when he was first to a Sion Bradley corner but his header flied past the upright.

A quickly taken corner, four minutes later, caused all sorts of concern for the visitors when Thomas rolled the ball to Noah Edwards in the box, but the midfielder’s powerful low effort whistled wide.

Penybont were pinned back in their own half at this early stage and Sion Bradley was frustrated not to have opened the scoring in the eighth minute after he met a Joe Faux cross but he could not keep his headed attempt from siling inches over the woodwork from six yards.

There was a scare for Caernarfon in the eighteenth minute after Tom Tweedy ran to the byline before crossing the ball across the six yard area, where Sam Snaith arrived too late to reach it.

The visitors were awarded a penalty two minutes later after Danny Gosset brought down Whitmore in the box, but Snaith hot the upright from the spot to keep Town on level terms.

Snaith should have scored in the thirty sixth minute when he rose well to meet a Tweedy corner but he was denied by the upright for a second time.

The final opening of the half fell to the hosts after Faux headed a Thomas delivery across Penybont’s six yard area but Sion Bradley’s first time effort finished narrowly wide of the upright.

Where Caernarfon had edged proceedings in the first half, it is safe to say that they dominated the action after the break and should have taken advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

The industrious Daniel Gosset, Noah Edwards and Iwan Cartwright were on top in midfield and were providing plenty of freedom for Thomas, Bradley and Faux to create problems up front.

Penybont survived a double scare five minutes after the restart when Cai Jones and Ryan Williams both had goalbound efforts blocked. Edwards was next to see an effort blocked whilst Sion Bradley was unlucky to see hi header spin the wrong side of the post with keeper Ashley Morris stranded on his line.

Faux was proving a handful for the Bont right back and he set up Darren Thomas in the sixty fourth minute with a pinpoint delivery from the right but the Cofi Messi’s measured strike saw the ball bounce off the post.

Morris pulled off two superb saves to deny Gosset and Hayes as Caernarfon piled on the pressure and, as the match entered its’ final minutes, it seemed that the Cofis’ efforts would be in vain as the visitors continued to hold on.

The winner eventually came for the hosts in the first minute of injury time when a Darren Thomas corner to the near post created panic in the Penybont defence and Billy John Borge headed into his own net from close range.

It was the least Caernarfon deserved for their dominant performance and, whilst Europe is out of the question, Huw Griffiths’ men will want to finish the season in their highest position since returning to the top flight four years ago.

They face Bala at the Oval on Monday and will hope to finish off their home league campaign in style.