FRIDAY night (Aug 20) saw Connah’s Quay Nomads defeat Aberystwyth Town 1-0 thanks to a first half header from Craig Curran.

It was a game in which The Nomads could welcome back both Declan Poole and Craig Curran and it was Curran who proved to be the eventual winner of the match.

Andy Morrison was left frustrated ahead of kick off as International Clearance for new signings Byron Harrison and Harrison Webster only arrived at 4:30pm on Friday afternoon from the English FA, meaning they were both ineligible despite having signed nine days prior.

Aber started the game on the front foot and forced an early corner which saw Ollie Byrne palm a header onto the post before it was put behind the goal for another corner which ultimately came to nothing. After this early opportunity for Aber, The Nomads quickly established themselves in the game with a number of opportunities at the other end.

Firstly, Curran headed a Jamie Mullan cross onto the roof of the net from around 12 yards out before Jamie Insall sent a diving header narrowly wide in just the sixth minute. Jordan Davies broke well down the left wing and flashed a low cross to the near post which saw Insall launch himself towards the ball only to see his header shoot agonisingly wide of the far post.

It was Davies again in the ninth minute who sent another similar ball across the face of the goal only for it to be headed behind for a corner. At the other end, Aber had another chance which was blocked by a combination of George Horan and Oliver Byrne with some shouts for handball from the Aber bench, but referee John Jones pointed for a corner.

Nomads were regularly entering the Aber box and creating chances on a constant basis with Jordan Davies hooking a shot towards goal before Jamie Insall got on the end of a Craig Curran flick, only to see his effort from an acute angle blocked by Aber’s Gregor Zabret in goal.

In the 21st minute, Davies again flashed another ball across the face of the goal and this time it was Rhys Davies who headed behind – from the resulting corner, George Horan rose highest to head just over the bar, but The Nomads weren’t to be denied and took the lead in the 30th minute.

Jamie Mullan broke down the right wing before sending a cross to the back post where Jordan Davies unselfishly headed back across goal to Craig Curran who got to the ball first and headed in from inside the six yard box to give The Nomads a deserved lead 15 minutes before half time.

The Nomads continued to pepper the Aber goal before half time with more corners and efforts on goal with a couple of efforts from Jamie Mullan but there were no more goals to add as The Nomads went in 1-0 up at the break.

Just four minutes into the second half it looked as though The Nomads were guaranteed a second goal as Jamie Insall got behind the Aber defence and squared the ball to an unmarked Declan Poole inside the area, but with an open goal at his mercy, Poole managed to send his effort up and over the bar to let Aber off the hook.

The crowd of 365 at Deeside Stadium were convinced that a second goal had again come just five minutes later as a Kris Owens cross looked to be converted by Curran, only for it to have gone inches wide – within the next sixty seconds, The Nomads would see a Ryan Harrington effort deflected just wide and from the resulting corner, George Horan would head just inches wide.

Appeals came for a penalty from the visitors in the 57th minute as Harry Franklin went down, but referee John Jones booked the striker for simulation. As The Nomads continued to search for a second goal, Andy Morrison made his only change of the night as Aron Williams replaced Jamie Mullan.

Just after the hour mark and The Nomads would go close again as Jamie Insall was denied at close range having dribbled across the penalty area, before John Disney sent the rebound inches wide with a left footed strike from the edge of the box.

It was Disney to the rescue somewhat at the other end just minutes later though – Ollie Byrne raced out of his goal to meet a short backpass, getting to the ball first, but his slide tackle fell to Jamie Veale who tried his luck from long range, only to see Disney comfortably head the ball behind for a corner.

In the 68th minute, it was an acrobatic effort from Jamie Insall that was this time denied in a combination of defender and post. Byrne and Disney were again called into action 8 minutes later as they combined to block an Aber effort at close range, colliding with each other in the process and both requiring treatment before play could resume.

There were still chances left in the game for both sides as The Nomads again attacked through Aron Williams, Jordan Davies and Craig Curran, but all three couldn’t find the target.

In the 87th minute there looked to be a potential red card decision for referee John Jones to make as Jack Rimmer made a wreckless challenge on Kris Owens, seemingly half way up Owens’ leg, however it was only deemed a yellow card.

Oliver Byrne was called into action in injury time to make a smart low save to keep Aber at bay as they piled bodies forwards in an effort to grab a late equaliser, but it was in vain as the referee brought the game to an end.

The result sees The Nomads having won their first two games without conceding a goal – a run they will be looking to continue next Saturday as they travel down to Bridgend to take on Penybont for a 2:30pm kick off.