THE third round of the Nathaniel MG Cup got underway on Tuesday night (Sept 20) as the holders went through and there were some shock results.

Holders Connahs Quay Nomads went through after they beat Holywell Town 1-0.

Michael Hayes scored the only goal of the game in the 59th minute and despite plenty of pressure from the Wellmen, the Nomads held on for victory.

Gresford Athletic are through to the quarter finals after they beat Buckley Town 8-7 on penalties.

It finished 2-2 after 90 minutes with Jake Roberts’ 87th minute equaliuser forcing the game into a shootout.

Goalkeeper Rhys Williams scored what would prove to be the winning penalty as Buckley’s Iwan Jones missed the next one to send Gresford through.

Haverfordwest County were also knocked out on penalties, beaten 4-3 in the shootout by Taffs Well.

The game finished 1-1 after 90 minutes following plenty of chances for the Bluebirds and Jack Wilson’s missed penalty gave the Wellmen victory.

Ammanford pulled off arguably the shock of the round as they beat Penybont 2-1.

Brett Enoch put Ammanford ahead in the first half but Mael Davies equalised for the home side early in the second half.

With nine minutes to go Callum Thomas scored what would prove to be the winner to send Ammanford through.

Last seasons’ runners up Cardiff Met are also through to the quarter finals as they beat Aberystwyth Town 5-3 on penalties.

Aber scored two goals in seven minutes in the first half as Charley Edge and Alex Darlington both scored.

Matt Chubb scored on the stroke of half time to keep the Met in the game and Sam Jones levelled with 13 minutes to go.

The Met then held their nerve to go though to the last eight.

Bala Town are through after beating Caernarfon Town 4-1. Chris Venables and Luke Wall put Bala 2-0 at half time.

Ben Wynne pulled a goal back for Caernarfon early in the second half to raise hopes of a comeback but Wall scored just two minutes later to restore their two-goal cushion.

Kieran Smith then scored seven minutes from time to seal the win for Bala.

Afan Lido are also through to the quarter finals after they beat Pontypridd United 2-0.

Two goals in as many minutes from Liam Griffiths and Sacha Walters sealed the win for the home side.

There is one final third round game taking place tonight (Wednesday, Sept 21) as Ruthin Town host Flint Town United.