GOOD Friday saw The Nomads overcome Cardiff Met in the JD Cymru Premier Play-Off Conference thanks to goals from Paulo Mendes and Byron Harrison.

The Nomads came into this game unbeaten in their last eight league matches with the beginning of April seeing Nomads grab two vital victories over Cefn Druids and Aberystwyth.

However, last Saturday’s crunch match against Barry saw The Nomads salvage a hard earned point against Barry, meaning the relegation battle still hangs in the balance.

Cardiff Met began their month with a win over Haverfordwest in a five goal thriller but have only picked up one point since as their last two games saw them suffer a 1-0 loss against Barry as well as a draw with Aberystwyth last weekend.

The Nomads made one change for this encounter as John Disney came into the back four following George Horan’s recent suspension which therefore saw Paulo Mendes come into midfield.

As for Met, they made three changes from their draw with Aberystwyth as Adam Roscrow, Harris Feltham and Chris Craven all returned to the starting eleven in place of Matt Chubb, Harry Owen and Tom Price.

Nomads started well as Mello Corbellini skillfully got past man before finding Paulo Mendes inside the area but as he cut back onto his right foot, he was intercepted and the danger was cleared.

Met’s first attack saw them deliver into Adam Roscrow at the back post where his header across goal led to penalty appeals from the Met players but referee Aaron Wyn Jones waved away the calls and Nomads regained possession.

Eliot Evans had Met’s first shot on goal in the 18th minute as Adam Roscrow’s pull back saw Evans’ low effort towards the bottom corner wonderfully saved by Ollie Byrne.

Mello Corbellini collected the ball on the right hand side and set his sights on goal but his curled effort towards the top corner was caught by Alex Lang to keep the scoreline goalless.

Nomads came close again as Declan Poole’s low cross fell to Neal Eardley who looked for the bottom corner but his shot was blocked and his effort went narrowly wide of the near post.

The Nomads took the lead on the half hour mark as Kris Owens’ cross found Byron Harrison who superbly pulled back across the face of goal leaving Paulo Mendes with an easy finish, marking his return to the starting eleven with a crucial goal.

Met did have the ball in the back of the net just a few minutes later as Adam Roscrow found the bottom corner but the linesman’s flag was raised for offside and Nomads remained a goal to the good.

Chris Craven received a yellow card for a foul on Neal Eardley as we neared half time and Nomads had the opportunity to cross into the box but Met were alert and cleared the danger.

The first half was brought to a close and The Nomads went into the break holding a 1-0 lead over Cardiff Met thanks to that brilliant team move finished off by Paulo Mendes.

As the game got underway for the second half, Met were unable to capitalize on a gilt-edged chance as Neal Eardley’s pass was intercepted, leading to Eliot Evans through on goal but his powerful shot saw Ollie Byrne produce an outstanding save to deny Met of an early second half equaliser.

Neal Eardley was involved yet again as he drifted inside in the area, going past three Met defenders but his low cross into Paulo Mendes was halted due to the offside flag being raised.

The hour mark saw Nomads force Met keeper Alex Lang into action as Kris Owens’ delivery found Byron Harrison whose thumping header towards the top corner was caught by Lang.

However, Byron Harrison found himself on the scoresheet just minutes later as Neal Eardley raced down the right hand side before putting a low ball into the danger zone which the Met defence were unable to clear and there was Harrison who was left with a simple finish to make it 2-0.

Met did loom to hit back straight away as a cross from the left found the unmarked Chris Craven but Mello tracked back just in time to stop the attack and regain possession.

The visitors made a triple substitution in the space of five minutes as they looked to create a potential comeback. Adam Roscrow, Kyle McCarthy and Emlyn Lewis all left the field for Tom Davies, Elliot Humphries and Jac Davies.

Met were unable to produce any late drama as the full time whistle blew and after a series of tight encounters between these two sides throughout the season, they could finally be separated inside 90 minutes as The Nomads secured an important 2-0 victory thanks to goals from Paulo Mendes and Byron Harrison.

Nomads’ next fixture sees them take on Haverfordwest at Deeside on Easter Monday with a Nomads win potentially securing them safety in the JD Cymru Premier. This fixture is scheduled to kick off at 2:30pm.