Mumbles Rangers 2 Pontardawe Town 5

PONTARDAWE eased themselves into the next round of the FAW Trophy as they beat Mumbles Rangers 5-2 at Underhill Park on Saturday (Aug 21).

It turned out to be a very warm Saturday afternoon at Underhill Park Mumbles after earlier showers.

Pontardawe Town continued their own ‘hot’ early season form and opened the scoring in this cup tie after 15 minutes when a Rangers attack was turned quickly into a counter attack which ended in  Ponty forward Joshua Roberts connecting with a cross ball and scoring from close range.

Ponty nearly doubled their lead when Gabriel Kirclough rattled the Rangers crossbar with a long range effort.

The closest Rangers got to scoring in the first half was a long range effort of their own from Jordan Lloyd-Evans who saw his effort narrowly miss the goal.

With a couple of minutes to half time Rangers Kurtis March picked up a yellow card.

At half time the home team still felt they were still very much in the game, only being a goal behind despite Ponty’s best efforts.

With only a couple of minutes into the second half Rangers Kurtis March picked up his second yellow card and subsequent red.

Rangers down to ten men were struggling to cope with the movement and attacking intent of Pontardawe and with an over an hour gone in the game it was Jordan Langley who was a threat all the game finally got his reward by scoring Ponty’s second goal when his shot hit the inside of the Rangers goal post and rebounded into the net and in effect secured the game.

Ponty brought on substitute Steffan Pryce and within minutes he scored Ponty’s third goal.

Two minutes later Rangers conceded a penalty kick and Ponty’s centre back Steve Berry stepped up and slotted his team’s fourth goal.

To their credit the ten men Rangers team showed their spirit and pulled a goal back from Luc Blackmore.

Ponty’s response was immediate when Steffan Pryce got his second goal with a well-placed strike.

Rangers did have the final word when Joshua Doyle got Rangers second goal to add some consolation to the final scoreline.

Pontardawe deservedly progress to the next round of the FAW Trophy whilst Rangers now must concentrate on their inaugural season in the West Wales Premier League.