Press scores late winner as Barry end first phase with a win
BARRY TOWN UNITED’s Evan Press scored his third goal in two games to give his side a last-gasp victory over Cardiff Met University on Friday (Apr 2).
With their place in the Championship conference confirmed, Barry were still keen to pick up the win which would keep them in touch with third-placed Bala Town.
After the JD Cup was cancelled, the team that finishes in third will now get a guaranteed European spot and it is all to play for when the second phase gets underway this weekend.
Friday’s game saw a cagey start from both sides with little chances. The Met saw a free kick blocked by the wall while keeper Mike Lewis plucked a cross out of the air as the hosts enjoyed more of the ball.
With half an hour gone, Eliot Evans shot from close range but it was saved by Lewis.
Shortly before half time, the Town were forced into a sub as Callum Sainty picked up a knock and he was replaced by Theo Wharton.
Chris Hugh then sent a free kick into the box but Met keeper Alex Lang claimed the ball before Barry could get a head on it.
It remained goalless at the break but three minutes into the second half the visitors took the lead.
Jordan Cotterill crossed into the box and Nat Jarvis tapped in from two yards out but they weren’t ahead for long.
They held the lead for just four minutes as Emlyn Lewis headed home from a corner.
Kayne McLaggon saw a shot blocked before Mike George got in the way of a Met shot to keep the scores level.
Barry pushed forward late on but just as it looked as if the game would finish all square, up popped Press to score the winner.
The ball was played to Press on the right side of the penalty area and he shot low into the bottom left corner to make it 2-1 to Barry.
They saw the game out to remain six points behind third placed Bala.
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Gerwyn Price defeated by Brendan Dolan, knocked out of the 2021 Players Championship Finals – Jonny Clayton wins and advances to quarter finals by Owen Harries
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Wales face Austria in Path A Semi Final – World Cup Qatar 2022 Play-offs by Owen Harries
- Tryweryn – The Welsh village flooded to supply an English city with water by Doug Evans
- Madoc: The Welshman who found America 300 years before Columbus by Doug Evans
- Tennis: The sport first played in Wales by Doug Evans
- Local crime busters urged to apply for “Robin Hood” cash by Carli Newell