THE New Saints recorded their third consecutive JD Cymru Premier win after defeating Barry Town United 2-1 at Jenner Park on Saturday (Dec 11).

A superb strike from Danny Redmond gave his side the lead with just four minutes played, before Jordan Williams doubled the advantage just after the hour mark.

The hosts set up a nervy finish after pulling a goal back with 20 minutes to go, but Anthony Limbrick’s team held on for the three points which sent them 12 points clear at the top of the table.

It was the perfect start by The New Saints, as they took the lead with just four minutes gone. Collecting the ball 20 yards from goal, Danny Redmond set himself with a touch, before opening the scoring with a powerful strike into the top corner.

Seven minutes later, Danny Davies almost scored an equally good goal, but Kelland Absalom made a superb save to deny the TNS full-back.

The Saints continued to work openings, and Ryan Brobbel sent a few efforts wide of the mark in the minutes that followed.

In the 41st minute, Barry thought they’d won a penalty, when Ryan Astles appeared to bring down Kayne McLaggon inside the area. Referee, Tom Owen, wasn’t interested though, and showed the Linnets’ number seven a yellow card for diving.

And just a minute later, Brobbel had a golden chance to add a second for his side, but after controlling the ball brilliantly on the edge of the six-yard box, cleared the crossbar with his effort.

Following the restart, The Saints upped the ante and had an effort headed off the line in the 48th minute, before Marcus Day made an important block to deny Declan McManus shortly after.

Jordan Williams then saw an effort saved by Absalom, and Brobbel fired wide from distance, as The Saints continued to knock on the Barry door.

And the pressure finally told with 63 minutes gone, when Williams doubled his side’s lead with a well-taken finish. After being picked out by Chris Marriott, the number 17 spun inside the area, before sending the ball in off the far post – giving his team some much-needed breathing room in the process.

At that point, things looked comfortable for Anthony Limbrick’s side, but with 20 minutes to go, the hosts set up a nervy finish, as Theo Wharton pulled a goal back against the run of play.

They almost had an equaliser as well two minutes later, but some important defensive work following a corner ensured the ball ended up in the hands of the grateful Paul Harrison.

The Saints regained their composure though, and had chances to restore their two-goal cushion in the final 15 minutes. However, neither Brobbel, Davies, or McManus managed to find their cutting edge, and the match ended 2-1 to the visitors.

The New Saints are back in action next Saturday (December 18), when they take on Penybont at Park Hall Stadium.