SCARLETS and Ospreys both earned wins in the second round of the United Rugby Championship over the weekend.

Scarlets were victorious on Friday night while Ospreys saw off rivals Cardiff in a typical Welsh derby game.

There was also a narrow defeat for Dragons who lost by just a single point against champions Leinster.

Scarlets v Lions

After defeat in their opening game the Scarlets were looking to bounce back on home soil and they scored early on as Rob Evans scored with four minutes on the clock.

Edinburgh added a penalty but the Scarlets scored again on 20 minutes as Tom Rogers dived over in the corner.

Both sides added to their scores with penalties but with twenty minutes to go the Lions got a try to reduce the deficit.

The score moved on to 23-13 but a yellow card for the Lions all but cost them a chance of getting back into the game.

With just over ten minutes to go Jonathan Davies supplied the pass to Rogers who went over for his second try.

As time run out more good play sent Steff Evans through and he touched down to earn the Scarlets a bonus point and a 36-13 win.

Dragons v Leinster

Lewis Jones was shown an early yellow card for not releasing on the goal line and Leinster took advantage with the first try of the game.

The Dragons were still a man down when they were dealt another blow as they were reduced to thirteen men for a deliberate knock-on.

To their credit though the Dragons did not concede and it remained 0-7 until half time.

And the first score of the second half did not come until the 62nd minute when Sam Davies slotted a penalty through the posts.

The Dragons came again and another penalty from Davies brought the score to 6-7.

Leinster thought they had scored what would have proved to be the winning try but it was ruled out for a knock on.

Despite that the visitors held on for the narrowest of wins, leaving the Dragons to settle for a losing bonus point.

Ospreys v Cardiff

The Ospreys took an early 6-0 lead courtesy of Gareth Anscombe, the first of which was an impressive effort from the half way line.

On 16 minutes a penalty from Cardiff’s Rhys Priestland rebounded off the posts but Josh Adams was quickest to react to score the game’s first try.

After a yellow card for Cardiff, Anscombe kicked a third penalty to give the home side the lead once more.

The Ospreys though were also reduced to 14-men shortly before the break for a high tackle.

Anscombe added another penalty to give the Ospreys a 12-7 lead at the break.

Early in the second half though Owen Lane touched down in the corner to put the visitors back in front.

Anscombe added a fifth penalty as the lead switched back to the Ospreys.

They thought they had scored another try on 61 minutes but it was ruled out for a knock-on.

Anscombe continued his perfect record with a sixth penalty to increase the score to 18-14.

Cardiff looked for a late score to try and win the game but the Ospreys held on to secure their second win in the United Rugby Championship.