TNS saw off a determined Penybont side on Saturday (Dec 18) as they earned a 3-2 win at Park Hall.

In a first versus fourth encounter – with fourteen points separating the sides prior to kick-off – it was The New Saints who had the first attempt on goal, with Declan McManus’ long-range effort dealt with comfortably by Ashley Morris in the seventh minute.

As we hit the quarter of an hour mark, a great ball in from Ryan Brobbel on the left, saw Ben Clark’s shot smash against the crossbar, with the ‘keeper beaten.

Two minutes later, Nathaniel Wood gave the ball away to Ryan Brobbel, whose inch-perfect pass picked out McManus. Rounding Morris, on the edge of the area, the striker coolly slotted home from a tight angle to give TNS the lead.

Almost immediately, birthday boy, Paul Harrison, dived to his left to deny Waite an equaliser.

As we approached the halfway stage in the first period, superb work down the left by Jordan Williams, set up McManus. Unfortunately, for the striker, he couldn’t connect as he wanted, and his touch sent the ball over the bar from close-range.

With twenty-seven minutes on the clock, The visitors were back in the game. The lively Waite made it difficult for the TNS FC defenders in the area, and finding Wood his strike gave Harrison no chance, as it hit the roof of the net.

Four minutes before half-time, a McManus header in the area ended with the ball being tucked away from close-range by Jordan Williams, with the league leaders going into the break leading 2-1.

In the 51st minute, the visitors were level again. Following a save from Paul Harrison, the resultant corner saw Snaith find the back of the net with a header.

Twelve minutes on and an inch-perfect cross from Routledge on the left was met by the head of McManus, as the lead was restored.

The exact same scenario almost delivered the goods with thirteen minutes to go but on that occasion the ball ended just wide of the target.

Although both sides pushed for another goal – for different reasons – the defences held tight and final whistle saw The New Saints extend the lead at the top of the table to twelve points.