Wales announce weightlifting squad for 2022 Commonwealth Games
Team Wales have announced seven weightlifters for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, beginning in July.
Amy Salt and Michael Farmer make their Commonwealth debut, with Christie-Marie Williams set to make her third appearance.
Hannah Powell, Catrin Jones, Faye Pittman and Jordan Sakkas will make their second career appearances at the Games.
Welsh weightlifters have amassed over 50 medals at Commonwealth competitions since their debut in Vancouver 1954.
Weightlifting Wales coach Ray Williams said:
“We have a mix of experience and future potential within our squad.
“Each athlete has shown a lot of resilience and determination in what has been a turbulent last couple of years with the pandemic, and no face-to-face events from late 2019 up until early 2022.
“Our athletes will be the very best they can be at Birmingham 2022 and we have already started preparations for Victoria 2026 with our crop of talented development athletes.”
Team Wales Weightlifting full list.
Hannah Powell – 49kg
Catrin Jones – 55kg
Christie-Marie Williams – 64kg
Faye Pitman – 71kg
Amy Salt – 76kg
Michael Farmer – 73kg
Jordon Sakkas – 109kg
- Wales U20 name side to face Italy in group decider by James Hemingray
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Swansea star given Junior Wimbledon wildcard by James Hemingray
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Wrexham AFC sign goalkeeper Mark Howard by James Hemingray
- No-nonsense investing app launches myth-busting ‘Investing Truth or Scare’ quiz by Cerys Lafferty
- Two Welsh Ambulance staff cycling from Cardiff to Paris by James Hemingray
- Werndale Hospital recognised for outstanding patient care in national award by Cerys Lafferty