WALES were unable to break down Estonia on Wednesday night (Sept 8) as their hopes of qualifying for the 2022 World Cup took a blow.

The 0-0 draw sees Wales move level on points with second placed Czech Republic with the two sides meeting when the qualifiers resume in October.

Wales had a number of opportunities to score but were frustrated on several occasions as the game finished goalless.

Gareth Bale hit the post late on and Wales also had a penalty shout turned down in stoppage time but it wasn’t to be.

Bale had gone into the game on the back of his hat trick which had seen Wales beat Belarus 3-2 in Russia and they started well against Estonia.

They had the majority of the possession in the opening fifteen minutes but had little to show for it.

On 18 minutes Wales broke forward well and Tyler Roberts squared the ball to Bale but he curled a shot high and wide of the goal.

Harry Wilson then slipped the ball through for Roberts but he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

The Estonians enjoyed a brief spell of possession on the half hour mark but Wales were soon back camped in Estonia’s half as they continued to look for the opener.

Wales were dealt a blow before half time as Harry Wilson was forced off with an injury and was replaced by Jonny Williams.

Three minutes later the Estonians came the closest of anyone to scoring as Kait’s shot hit the crossbar.

It was a warning sign for Wales but when the half time whistle went the game was still without a goal.

Applause rang out in the 52nd minute in memory of Gary Speed, on what would have been his 52nd birthday.

Three minutes later Dan James was brought down on the left wing and a free kick was given.

Ben Davies took it and Bale got his head to it but his powerful effort was well saved by the Estonian keeper.

The ball was then slipped through for Tyler Roberts who was in on goal but his effort was saved by the foot of the Estonian keeper.

The chances continued to come as James did well down the left before crossing to Bale but his looping effort was just too high.

With eight minutes to go Davies sent another cross into the box which Bale got his head on but the Estonian keeper made another good save.

Gareth Bale then burst through the defence and saw his shot saved and when the rebound came back to him he headed towards goal but was unlucky to see his header bounce out off the post.

Joe Allen was next to try his luck after a good pass and go with Gareth Bale but again the effort was saved.

With a minute of the ninety left, Estonia’s Konstantin Vassiljev tested Danny Ward with a long range effort which was going in but he made a good save to keep the scores level. He then had to be alert as the corner was whipped in towards goal.

They had another chance four minutes into injury but Ward again made the save.

Deep into the six minutes of time added on Bale flicked the ball through for Morrell but when he went down the referee waved away the protests.

Wales boss Rob Page was then shown a yellow card for his protests following the incident and the game ended goalless.

Wales will now look to their game in the Czech Republic as one that they must win if they are to keep alive their hopes of qualifying for the World Cup in 2022.