Wrexham AFC: Tom O’Connor signs from Burton Albion
WREXHAM AFC has confirmed the signing of versatile midfielder Tom O’Connor from Burton Albion, for an undisclosed fee.
Irishman O’Connor, 22, who has been capped by his country at Under-19 and Under-21 level, has signed a contract until June 2025.
A product of the Southampton youth academy, O’Connor – a central midfielder, who has also played in defence – spent two seasons on loan with Gillingham in League One, before moving to Burton in the summer.
He has scored five goals in 21 matches for the Brewers this season, helping Burton to tenth in the League One table.
And on making the switch to Wrexham, O’Connor said: “I’m delighted to be signing. They have showed me the plan of what they are wanting to do here.
“I know it’s a tough league, but the plan sounds exciting and I’m looking forward to getting started.
“It’s a risk to drop it into the National League, but seeing the squad here and the set-up, and the fact they have trusted me with a three-and-a-half-year deal… I feel like this Club can go a long way.”
Manager Phil Parkinson said of the signing, “I’m very pleased. I feel Tom’s a strong signing for us.
“It’s taken a bit of work but we’re pleased to have completed it. “Midfield is one area where we were light on numbers, and Tom offers us versatility with being able to play left-sided defence too.
“He’s young, he’s a player who’s only going to get better and it’s an excellent acquisition for us.”
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Warning of serious disruption on M4 and M5 today due to fuel prices protest by heraldwales
- Abergeirw: The last village in Wales to get electricity by Doug Evans
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Welsh Government paid £1m over asking price for farm by Jon Coles
- Wrexham complete first summer signing by James Hemingray
- Indigo Premiership fixtures released for 2022/23 season by James Hemingray
- Swansea Building Society marks milestone by donating to food banks by Cerys Lafferty