Caernarfon man wins ‘astonishing’ £127,000 car-and-cash prize in online competition
A week after an agonising runner-up spot, Caernarfon dad Martin Shepherd was celebrating after winning a £77,000 Jeep with £50,000 in cash stuffed in the boot thanks to online competitions company BOTB.
Helicopter safety boss Martin was ambushed at his remote home by BOTB’s Christian Williams who handed him the keys to the special edition Jeep Kahn Wrangler CJ400 Expedition – watch the surprise here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MVA9QIW70
Yet while some of BOTB’s previous 586 dream car winners have broken down in tears or slumped to their knees in disbelief, Martin’s calm reaction belied his nerves.
“It was a relief to see Christian at the door,” he chuckled. “I’ve been playing with BOTB for years and never got anywhere near, then last week I was one of the runners-up so I thought my luck might be in.
“Every Tuesday I hoped it would be me but this week I knew something was up when my 22-year-old daughter got up at 8am. Like most people that age, 8am is a time they rarely see so when I saw Meg I knew something was up. An hour or so later, Christian knocked on the door!”
BOTB hands over the keys to two stunning cars each week as well as a lifestyle prize. The company, listed on the stock market, was founded by William Hindmarch in 1999 and has given away more than £43m-worth of prizes so far.
Martin said he adored the car but the money would come in equally handy as he was in the middle of renovating a property.
“The cash couldn’t have come at a better time,” he said candidly. “We’re renovating a property that’s been derelict for a number of years, so this money will definitely come in useful.”
Christian, who surprises the BOTB winners each week, said: “I always say I have the best job in the world, making people’s dreams come true, and it looks like this is definitely the case for Martin and his family.
“Not only will he get an incredible Jeep, he’ll have plenty of cash to help finish off his renovation.”
To see Martin’s reaction alongside a host of other lucky winners, head over to BOTB.com.
- Wales U20 name side to face Italy in group decider by James Hemingray
- Top ten famous Welsh people by Elfed Jones
- Swansea star given Junior Wimbledon wildcard by James Hemingray
- Wales’ longest station name: How it got its name, and what it means by Doug Evans
- Wrexham AFC sign goalkeeper Mark Howard by James Hemingray
- No-nonsense investing app launches myth-busting ‘Investing Truth or Scare’ quiz by Cerys Lafferty
- Two Welsh Ambulance staff cycling from Cardiff to Paris by James Hemingray
- Werndale Hospital recognised for outstanding patient care in national award by Cerys Lafferty