Home » Amman ease to win over Llandybie
Carmarthenshire Sport West Wales

Amman ease to win over Llandybie

BOTTOM of the table Llandybie arrived at a sunny Cwmamman Park on Saturday (Nov 12) hoping for their first win of the season.

But, after having a very promising start where they had large periods of territory and pressure, they were ultimately well-beaten by the league leaders.

Llandybie started really well, as centre Nathaniel Butler, along with full-back Steff Jones and Steff Coombes in a rare start at centre, made some good gains; their pressure earned an early penalty, but Rhys Tench was off target.

After soaking up the early visitors’ pressure, Amman got a foothold in the game, and some really good runs, from Dan Jones, Alun Lewis and Tai Cousins put them on the offensive.

Amman took the lead after 25 minutes when an attempted Llandybie clearance near their own tryline was charged down by Joel Foster, who followed up to score the opener.

The home side had now settled,and some more excellent forward play paved the way for Iwan Davies to slice through the defence to touch down; outside half Iestyn Griffiths was making his Amman league debut, and the outside half genes from his other family members who wore the red shirt with great success over the years, have obviously been passed down, and the impressive youngster added the conversion.

Llandybie fell further behind as the Reds kept up the pressure, full back Rhys Howells just before halftime putting in a neat chip over the defence and following up his own kick to score a fine individual try, 17-0 the interval score.

Into the second half, and Amman were reduced by a man when hooker George Clarke recieved a yellow card for a high tackle. But the 14-men battened down the hatches and increased their advantage when a speculative chip ahead was seized on by Iestyn Griffiths, who drew the defender before popping the tryscoring pass to wing Jack Evans, Griffiths adding the conversion to the bonus-point try.

Llandybie were now looking a little demoralised and were undone again when Amman captain Alun Lewis went over for a corner try.

Hooker George Clarke then gave a tryscoring pass to backrow-man Tom Thorneycroft who went in under the posts. A Griffiths conversion success gave the Reds a commanding 36-0 lead.

The icing on the cake for the home side came with some five minutes to go when from a Joel Foster tapped-penalty, Dan Jones strode over the whitewash for the final try, Griffiths again converting.

The sides now take a fortnight’s break for the Autumn internationals. Amman return on December 3 with a home fixture against New Dock Stars, while winless Llandybie will hope to change that situation with a home match against Llangadog.