Home » Reds suffer late defeat against Major
Carmarthenshire Llanelli Sport West Wales

Reds suffer late defeat against Major

IT was somewhat ironic that Llantwit Major should impose on their opponents an almost identical scenario to that which the Reds had achieved at Carmarthen Town in their previous game – scoring two very late goals to clinch the win.

With the hosts leading courtesy of a stunning first half strike by Jamie Parry and the contest entering its final stages, Nathan Evans grabbed and equaliser on 81 minutes, while home hopes were dashed by Tyler Jackson six minutes into stoppage time.

This was a setback for the Reds who were hoping to chalk up what would have been an unbeaten six match run, and the result puts them behind both Afan Lido and Briton Ferry Llansawel, although they do have two games in hand over their rivals.

They also now face three away matches with visits to Cwmbran Celtic, Afan Lido and Ammanford, before a crunch home encounter with Ferry late in March which could prove pivotal, dependent on results between now and then.

The latest game was one riddled with errors on both sides with the ball being given away far too often, but the Reds enjoyed the greater possession without really offering up much in the way of goal threats, although Jack Lansdown in the Llantwit goal was kept occupied but dealt capably with a somewhat toothless home attack.

Dylan Williams went close with an effort across the face of the visitors` goal when Tim Parker set him up, while a Sean Cronin header from a corner bounced towards the net before being scrambled clear.

A timely intervention by a Llantwit defender deflected the ball away from Parker after a Parry delivery, and Lansdown got down to grasp safely an attempt by Owen Bancroft.

On 25 minutes the home side took the lead with a stunning opener by Parry who smashed a superb effort from wide on the left which went between Lansdown and his near post.

Eli Phipps chased down a long Scott Coughlan clearance and in a foot race with Jamie Miller forced the Llantwit defender to concede a corner.

Just prior to the break, another effort on the visitors` goal was blocked, but the Reds went in at the interval full value for the lead.

online casinos UK

Miles John came on as a replacement for Williams at the start of the second half, and was almost immediately involved in the action, sending Phipps in on goal with his finish being diverted around the post by the goalkeeper.

This was Phipps`s last action as Thomas Hillman came on in his place, before Cronin went close with a header from a Louis Gerrard free kick.

Hillman then got involved with his cross destined for the head of Josh Allen being nicked clear by Thomas Lillico, and when Hillman made run at goal Lansdown came off his line in an attempt to close him down, but the home player got his strike away but just failed to find the target before the ball was diverted for a corner.

Parker then failed to capitalise when found by Hillman, his attempt lacking venom with Lansdown affecting the save, before Llantwit stunned their opponents by levelling matters on 81 minutes when a corner was not dealt with effectively, allowing Evans to meet the loose ball and drive it low past Coughlan.

It could have been even worse shortly after when a rare error by Cronin saw him caught in possession, allowing Jackson a clear run on goal, but he could only fire his finish into the side netting.

With the contest deep into stoppage time, the visitors clinched all three points when an initial run by Mathew Kinney seemed to have been dealt with, before Jackson stepped in to meet the ball at the far post to rifle it into the net and spark off wild scenes of jubilation.

A bitterly disappointing outcome for the Reds who will now have to pick themselves up for the trip next Saturday to Cwmbran Celtic, kick off 2pm.