Home » Milford stun Gorseinon in West Wales Cup
22Sport Pembrokeshire Sport Swansea West Wales

Milford stun Gorseinon in West Wales Cup

MILFORD United progressed to the third round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Nov 5) as they beat Gorseinon Athletic 6-2.

Pembrokeshire League Division 2 side Milford went into the away tie against Gorseinon Athletic in good form. Comfortable wins away to Solva and at home to Neath 1st division outfit, Tonna, suggested room for optimism.

But they were up against a Carmarthenshire Premiership team which meant they went into the tie as underdogs.

The tie venue was re-arranged on Saturday morning to a 3G pitch, which meant an urgent hunt for suitable footwear for the squad before they travelled.

The Robins started off the match much the brighter, playing with confidence from front to back and pressing Gorseinon onto the back foot.

It didn’t take Liam Parks long to show his pace and finishing ability. He latched on to a good through ball from Liam Parr, to put the Robins ahead after 17 minutes.

It wasn’t long before he got his second after good pressure by Wes Hill caused a mistake in the Gorseinon defence and Parks finished off confidently.

Gorseinon picked up a couple of injuries to key players, which disrupted the game’s flow while they received treatment. It also seemed to effect the Robins’ free flowing football, which now stuttered.

A long ball over the top from Gorseinon evaded everyone and Matthew Hurford ran onto the ball and tucked it away on 25 minutes, to bring it to 1-2.

A series of set pieces for Gorseinon, forced the Robins back. Robins young custodian Charlie Malloy pulled off a couple of great goal line saves to scramble the ball clear, when a goal seemed certain. A home corner saw the Robins fail to clear the ball, which fell to Hurford unmarked 10 yards out and he dispatched just on the stroke of half-time to bring the teams in level at 2-2 at the break.

online casinos UK

Robins Manager Steve Parks asked his young team to repeat their form of the start of the game and continue to press.The second half saw the Robins gain their composure and take back control of the game.

A high press game now really benefitted the Robins and good link up play between Parks and Ieuan Hawkins saw Hawkins finish confidently on 58 minutes, to put the Robins back ahead.

It wasn’t long before this strike partnership were back at it. This time Parks winning the ball out wide and crossing the ball for Hawkins to sweep in for the Robins 4th.

Rather than sit back on their lead, the Robins continued to press. Robins’ Captain, Scott Griffiths ensured that his Robins kept Gorseinon chances to a minimum in the second half.

A forceful run down the right by Wes Hill opened up the Gorseinon defence and slipped through Parks, who finished well from 15 yards, to secure his hat-trick.

Steve Parks introduced all of his strong bench into the game, who each added to the Robins dominance against a strong outfit.

But both Liam Parks and the Robins weren’t finished there and on the 73rd minute Hawkins’ hard work carved an opening for Parks who scored his fourth and the Robins sixth, to round off the scoring at 2-6.

Gorseinon were able to admit that the young Robins outfit had given them a lesson with a performance that they will no doubt hope to repeat in the next round of the cup.