Home » Newtown keep winning streak going with win over Bluebirds
22Sport Pembrokeshire Powys Sport West Wales

Newtown keep winning streak going with win over Bluebirds

Nigel Aris celebrates scoring the opening goal for Newtown

NEWTOWN kept their winning run going, extending it to four matches, as they beat Haverfordwest County 2-0 at Latham Park on Sunday (Dec 11).

Both sides were on three-match unbeaten runs going into the game and it made for an exciting clash on what was a very cold afternoon.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side as Callum Roberts sent a cross into the box for Louis Robles but his hooked effort was comfortably saved by Lee Idzi.

The Bluebirds then had their first real chance of the game as Jordan Davies broke down the right before crossing to Henry Jones but he saw his shot saved by Newtown keeper Dave Jones.

Nigel Aris then saw a header fall harmlessly into the arms of Idzi as play began to switch back and forth.

On 25 minutes Henry Jones sent a free kick into the box which was met by Lee Jenkins but his header was saved by Dave Jones.

Three minutes later Newtown opened the scoring. A ball over the top found Nick Rushton on the edge of the box and he squared the ball into the path of Aris who fired a low shot into the net to make it 1-0 to the Robins.

Elliot Dugan then had a chance for the Bluebirds but he shot wide from a very tight angle.

Towards the end of the first half Jamie Veale played the ball in to Ben Fawcett but he saw both of his efforts blocked by Newtown defenders.

The half time whistle went with Newtown leading 1-0 but the Bluebirds were still very much in the game.

Nine minutes into the second half a ball into the Newtown box caused havoc and the ball was stabbed onto the post before being cleared to safety.

Haverfordwest continued to knock on the door but an opening wasn’t forthcoming. Rhys Abbruzzese was next to try his luck but he saw an effort saved by Jones.

Lee Jenkins then had another chance but saw his header again saved by Jones.

And then with six minutes to go, Newtown doubled their lead with Robles turning provider for sub Rhys Hesden to score.

Six minutes of time were added on at the end of the 90 giving the visitors hope of snatching something from the game. Fawcett sent an effort just wide but that was as good as it got for the Bluebirds.

Newtown saw the game out and their fourth win in a row sees them go above the Bluebirds into sixth place in the JD Cymru Premier table.

The sides are next in action on Friday, December 16, as Newtown host Pontypridd United while Haverfordwest County travel to Cardiff Met, both games kick off at 7:45pm.