Home » Wasps seal narrow win over Quins
22Sport Pembrokeshire

Wasps seal narrow win over Quins

LLANGWM earned their second win of the League 3 West A season on Saturday (Jan 28) as they beat Pembroke Dock Quins 17-14 in an exciting local derby at Pill Parks.

The Quins were playing their first game since December 10 and a large anf vociferous crowd gathered to watch what was a perfect example of why the game should try and return to Pembrokeshire Rugby.

The Wasps started the brighter, and they spurned a few early chances with poor decision making. Full commitment in no uncertain terms from both sides with no quarter given was the way the game was going.

The crowd had to wait till virtually right on half time for the first score, Harry Owen secured line out ball which sped across the Quins Threequarter line to Left Wing Tom Donovan who needed no second invitation to touch down for a superb try. Full Back Morgan Rogers converted from the touchline with a brilliant kick to put the Quins 0-7 in front.

However, the joy did not last long, and with the game deep into injury time, Llangwm used their big forwards which ended with 2nd Row Alan Williams powering his way over from close range after a well organised rolling maul. Outside Half Keiron Lewis added the extras to send the sides in at the break level at 7-7.

The Quins started the second half on top but the Wasps defence was on top form, as the two sides battled relentlessly, it looked a battle between the Quins speed, or the Wasps power in the pack.

online casinos UK

The Wasps looked to be very dangerous if they got near the Quins line, but on the hour it was the Quins who scored next, when the ball broke loose on half way Flanker Harry Owen picked it up shrugged off two defenders and raced away for his sixth try of the season. Morgan Rogers added the extras to put the Quins 7-14 in front.

Things were looking good for the Quins at this stage, but the Wasps forced their way back into the game when a Quins discretion was punished by Keiron Lewis who reduced the margin to 10-14.

Llangwm now smelt blood, and with the crowd behind them, they really got stuck in with some powerful runs from their forwards.

With five minutes to go the Quins gave away a penalty, the Wasps kicked the ball into the corner, and after a few surges Prop Ieuan Powell forced his way over, Keiron Lewis converted to put his side 17-14 ahead.

The Quins were awarded a penalty 40 yards out in injury time, but instead of going for the draw kicked to the corner looking for the win, but sadly for them it didn’t come off.